Leave Feedback

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our 'Cookies page'.

Social Media / Embedded Media cookies

We would like to allow Twitter and Facebook cookies: this will allow the listing of Fife Council tweets and Facebook posts on some of our pages. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

We would like to allow embedded media cookies: we occasionally display Google maps and embed audio and video in our pages, e.g., using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

All Docs

Housing repairs


If you're a council tenant and you want to make changes to your home or garden, you must request a permission pack and application form from your local office.

You may wish to install central heating, a new bathroom or kitchen, alter the layout of your home or put up a garden shed.  Please check out if your alterations will need planning permission and a building warrant.

We will not refuse permission without a good reason but we may grant permission with special conditions attached regarding the standard of the work.

It's important to get permission, mainly to ensure the work you're about to undertake is safe and meets building standards.  Also, when you give up your tenancy, you might be due compensation from us for work we have approved (but, if not approved we may ask you to change it back to how it was).

Please don’t carry out any work until you have written permission.

Permission request packs are available for:

  • Additional radiators or storage heaters
  • Decking
  • Demolition of larders or any other structure
  • Driveways and hard standings
  • Extra electrical sockets
  • Fencing or walls
  • Garages, sheds and greenhouses
  • Installation of central heating or focal fires
  • Internal alterations
  • Kitchens
  • Laminate flooring or ceramic tiled flooring
  • Loft or cavity wall insulation
  • Pigeon lofts, aviaries and kennels
  • Porch
  • Satellite dishes, TV or CB aerials
  • Security works or CCTV
  • Showers or bathrooms
  • Windows or doors

Who can help?

If you wish to know more about requesting permission to make alterations and improvements to your home, you should get in touch with your Local Office. For building warrants and planning applications please phone 03451 55 11 22.

What is our responsibility?

When we receive your application, providing all information is available, we have 28 days to reply to you either granting or refusing our permission.  During this time we will need to check the details provided, carry out a visit to your home and may also need to take advice from a specialist service.  If further information is required before granting permission we will advise you.  If we fail to contact you within the 28 days you are entitled to carry out your proposed works.

What is your responsibility?

It is your responsibility to check if you require any planning permission or building warrants. Don’t carry out any work to your home without permission.  We have the right to ask you to return the house to the way it was before.  If you refuse to do this, we can re-instate the work and recharge the cost to you.

Right to compensation for improvements

Under the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001 “on the termination of a tenancy a tenant may apply to their landlord for compensation for improvement works carried out with the consent of the landlord after 30th September 2002”.

This means, if you have our permission to carry out alterations or improvements to your Council house, you may be entitled to compensation at the end of your tenancy.

What to do when ending your tenancy

When you hand in your termination of tenancy, ask for an “Application for Compensation for Improvement Works” form.  You must complete and return this including the necessary proofs (i.e. letter of consent from us, receipted invoices, copies of building warrants and planning permission if required) within 21 days of your termination date.  We will check all the details provided, carry out an inspection of the item and reply to your application within 28 days of receipt.

Compensation is only payable for the installation or replacement of the works listed below:

  • Bath or shower
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Sound insulation
  • Double/secondary glazing or other external window replacement
  • Draught proofing of external doors or windows
  • Installation of mechanical ventilation in bathroom or kitchen
  • Insulation of pipes, water tank or cylinder
  • Kitchen sink
  • Loft insulation
  • Rewiring and the provision of power and lighting or other electrical fixtures including smoke detectors
  • Security measures other than burglar alarm systems
  • Space or water heating
  • Storage cupboards in bathroom or kitchen
  • Thermostatic radiator valves
  • Wash hand basin
  • Water closet
  • Work surfaces for food preparation

The compensation payable depends on the original price paid, the age of the item and the condition at the end of your tenancy.

Compensation is not payable if:

  • Permission for the work has not been granted by the landlord
  • You have already been reimbursed for the improvement
  • Your tenancy is ended by court decree
  • The compensation payable is less than £100 or exceeds £4000 for any one improvement
  • The Right to Buy has been exercised
  • You have any outstanding debt to Fife Council, we may deduct this from the compensation amount

Aids and adaptations

For adaptations to council properties, housing and neighbourhood services have a budget through social work for adaptations on grounds of disability on receipt of a referral from the occupational therapy service.

You can contact the occupational therapy service at your nearest Social Work area office between 9am and 11am and ask to speak to the duty occupational therapist (OT).

Other permissions needed

You will also need to request permission (in writing) if you wish to:

  • remove, chop down or destroy any bushes, hedges or trees;
  • carry out repairs to vehicles at your council home;
  • keep more than one domestic pet;
  • sub-let part of your house or take in a lodger;
  • pass on your tenancy to someone else or carry out a mutual exchange, or
  • change your tenancy to a sole or joint tenant.