Leave Feedback

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our 'Cookies page'.

Social Media / Embedded Media cookies

We would like to allow Twitter and Facebook cookies: this will allow the listing of Fife Council tweets and Facebook posts on some of our pages. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

We would like to allow embedded media cookies: we occasionally display Google maps and embed audio and video in our pages, e.g., using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

All Docs


What caused the damage?

You'll not be recharged for:

  • Anything that needs repaired or renewed due to everyday wear and tear. This can include repairs such as door handles loosening or taps dripping
  • Any work where a crime's been committed and reported to the Police. Once you have a crime reference number from them, please report this to us. This stops any recharges being sent to you

If repairs or replacements are needed in your property as a result of misuse, accidental damage or neglect, you're responsible for the cost. This includes

  • yourself
  • people living with you
  • visitors to your home

You'll be advised of an estimated cost when you report the repair. You can either choose to have us do the work for you, or you can pay for a qualified private contractor to do it. Your housing management officer will be asked to inspect the work. This is to make sure it's been done to an acceptable standard.

What happens next?

A member of our Housing Services team may need to come out to inspect the damage. This is done before any work can start. They may take photographs for reference, and these can be used if you refuse responsibility for the repair later. You'll receive a recharge letter, with details of the repair and estimated cost. You'll be asked to sign the acknowledgement slip and send it back to us.

The cost of the repair can change before an invoice is sent to you. This happens if the repair becomes more complicated. A Debtors Account is raised in your name and payment instalments can be made if you can’t pay in full.

Appealing your recharge

If you don’t agree with the recharge, you can call us on the Faults and Repairs line on 03451 55 00 11. We'll complete a ‘Recharge Dispute’ on your behalf. This will be passed to the recharge appeal team for their attention. They will contact you directly by writing.