What Fife Council is doing
We’re delivering our Climate Fife Action Plan through all of our work. It’s a flexible document that sets out how we will work with our partners and communities over the next 10 years to become:
- Climate friendly, transforming how we live to become carbon neutral;
- Climate ready, helping Fife communities and the economy minimise any impacts from unavoidable climate change; and
- Climate just, making sure all Fifers and our environment benefit from this transition.
Work on the go right now includes:
- replacing all Fife's street lights with energy efficient bulbs reducing associated carbon emissions by over 40%.
- expanding the electric vehicle charging network across Fife. This nearly doubles the current provision and will make it easier for Fifers and those visiting to move to electric vehicles. 1200 people used the electric car chargers last year. 500 users live in Fife.
- increasing the number of electric cars in the council's fleet.
- reducing the amount of waste sent to landfill, Fife currently recycles 54.7% of waste.
- replacing single-use plastics with reusable products in Fife Council buildings.
How we’re doing
Every year we report our progress to the Scottish Government on Fife Council’s own carbon footprint and the measures we are putting in place to reduce it.
Reference documents and links
- Climate Fife - Fife's strategy and action plan responding to the climate emergency
- Energy Masterplan for Burntisland
- Carbon Management Plan
- Resources Strategy
- Fife Local Biodiversity Action Plan
- Planning guidance
- Fife Shoreline Management Plan 2011
- Sustainable Drainage Systems (SuDS) - Design Criteria Guidance Note
- Fife Council Local Transport Strategy (2002 - 2026)
- Local Climate Impacts Profile (LCLIP)
- Physical Activity, Sport & Cycling in Fife
- Fife Council Climate Change Adaptation Framework 2010