Our use of cookies

Some cookies used are essential to providing a service, while others help us improve your experience and provide us with insights into how the site is being used.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Cookie preferences

Road maintenance & reporting

You can notify us of any road problems by using our online Road Reporting Form.

The following types of faults can also be reported by telephoning our contact centre:

  • Bus shelters
  • Drains
  • Flooding
  • Grit bins
  • Gullies
  • Potholes and uneven slabs
  • Safety barriers and pedestrian guardrails
  • Boundary fences
  • Signs and bollards
  • Street nameplates
  • Temporary traffic lights (road works)
  • Verges, trees and hedges
  • Walls and embankments
  • Winter maintenance

You can call  us on 03451 55 00 11 from Monday to Friday, 8am to  6pm. In the event of an emergency, after 6pm, or at the weekend, please call 03451 55 00 99.

Please note that the Council are not responsible for the maintenance of the trunk road network. You can report defects to the Traffic Scotland Customer Care Line on 0800 028 1414.

Transportation Services is responsible for inspecting reported road defects and potholes and arranging any necessary repairs on the non-trunk, adopted roads in Fife. You can find out more about how we do this on our Risk-based approach to Roads Maintenance page.

A yearly assessment of road pavement condition is carried out, and the results used to compile a three-year programme of works. More information is available on our Area Roads Programme page.


Under the New Roads & Street Works Act 1991 Fife Council is responsible for co-ordinating all Utility (electricity, gas, telephone companies) work with their own roadworks to minimise congestion, delays and inconvenience.

Current road works in Fife can be found on

If you need to apply for a temporary road closure for roadworks purposes or for an event of some sort, you will need to discuss your requirements with the Roads Management Officer for the area involved in order to complete the correct application form. Application forms and guidance notes can be on the Road and pavement permits page.

  • North Fife (North East Fife, Levenmouth, Glenrothes)
  • South Fife (South West Fife, Kirkcaldy, The Lochs, Cowdenbeath)

Abnormal Loads

If you are planning on moving an abnormal load, exceeding 40 tonnes or more, on the roads of Fife then notify the structural services team to discuss the route. The address is below. Wide loads may also require discussion with the local roads network management team. Police Scotland will assess whether the load will need escorted to ensure the safety of the public. Their email address is below.