Leave Feedback

All Docs

Road and pavement permits


Road and Pavement Permits

If you need to occupy part of a road, pavement or cycle path, you will have to apply for permission and to do this use the links below to take you to the correct online application form.

Using our online forms is the quickest and easiest way to apply for permission, however, we have provided you with the link to the paper form under each section.

If you are in any doubt about if which application you should be completing, please contact us using one of the contacts below.

Skip application and extension on a road - Apply Online link below.

  • This application is to request permission to place a builders' skip on a road, footpath and/or a verge.
  • Cost: £20 per week.

Skip application and extension in a pay & display area - Apply Online link below.

  • Cost: £9.60 per day
  • £48 per week and for each bay occupied

Occupying a road -  Apply Online link below.

  • To request permission for any of the following reasons which may require you to occupy a road for any period of time.
  • Depositing materials, erecting staging or scaffolding, siting of portable cabin or hut, erecting a hoarding, fencing or siting of handling equipment or use of a cherry picker.
  • Cost: £30.00 for first week then £15.00 each week or part of thereafter.

Execute roadworks under the New Roads and Streetworks Act - Apply Online link below (NRSWA 109)

  • This application is to request permission for the purpose of placing, maintaining, adjusting or removing apparatus in, or under a road. This includes excavating in or boring under a road.
  • Cost: £108

Vehicle access (lower a kerb) - Apply Online link below.

  • To apply for permission to construct a vehicular access crossing over a road, path or verge.
  • To apply for permission to lower a kerb.
  • Cost: £108

Temporary Traffic Restriction Application - see publications link below.

  • Transport (Scotland) Act 2005 requires a 3 month notice period for all works that effect the road network. As soon as you decide, contact one of the people below prior to completing the form.
  • Cost: appropriate fees will be invoiced once the application has been processed (information on fees are available in the guidance notes)

Switch off a pedestrian crossing or traffic lights application

Please read the terms and conditions before completing this application.

Traffic Signal application

  • Request permission to use two way portable traffic signals and request confirmation that specific site approval is not required.
  • Apply for portable traffic signal site approval.
  • Request a portable traffic signal design and approval.
  • To switch off a fixed pedestrian/pelican/zebra crossing please contact the appropriate area office below. (NOTE: Signals which are placed out of use must be properly signed and bagged off.)

Holding an event on a road - see publications link below.

  • To request permission to hold a parade or procession
  • Erect a stall for charity
  • Holding a street event
  • Community Council event
  • Holding a road race

If you require to apply for dispensation to park/load or unload on an area with traffic restrictions, see apply online link below.

Related Publications