The Fife Housing Register (FHR) website is a good place to start if you want to apply for a house. It will give you on all the housing options available to you.
We encourage anyone looking for housing to complete a Housing Options Plan. This will provide advice tailored to your own personal situation and will help you explore your options in more detail. If you do choose to apply for social housing, you may wait a long time to be housed. You may find a more suitable solution in a shorter time frame through the wider options available to you.
If you decide that you want to apply to the Fife Housing Register for Housing you can do this by:
- Applying on-line. See below.
- Printing the form, completing it, scanning it, attaching it to an email, and returning it to FHR.Team@Fife.gov.uk or posting to the address below.
- Calling 03451 55 00 33 and asking for a paper application to be sent to you. Once complete you would return it to FHR Team, Housing Service, Fife Council, New City House, 1 Edgar Street, Dunfermline, KY12 7EP
If you are unable to complete this yourself support can be provided. Please call 03451 55 00 33 to ask if there is availability for an assisted FHR appointment or select book an appointment below.
SERVICE UPDATE APRIL 2021 – Do you want to update your current application for housing? We are currently working on a new UPDATE FORM and we hope to have this ready for you soon. However, if you want to update or withdraw your application for housing you can:
- Call 03451 55 00 33 and give details of the update
- Or email FHR.Team@Fife.gov.uk
Depending on what the update is, we may have to contact you for further information to enable the update to be completed.
We will go through your application and get back to you within 20 days. We will then write to tell you:
- How your application has been assessed and the points you have been awarded
- The category which the application falls into
- Any information we still need that could affect your application
- How to appeal against our decision
FHR is made up of different housing partners, including housing associations and groups. They have agreed a common way of assessing housing need. This makes it more simple for applicants to understand the process. It also makes sure people are being assessed fairly.
Your application will be placed in a group that reflects your needs. The categories are:
- Urgent Housing Needs
- Poor Housing Circumstances
- Lack of Security
- Social and Medical Needs
- Management Needs
- No Immediate Needs
You may get points for different circumstances. At the end, you will be placed in the group where you have the highest points. Your housing need is worked out by awarding points for things like:
- Living in poor quality or below standard property
- Homelessness or being potentially homeless
We'll award points if you:
- are experiencing abuse or harassment in or around your home;
- have housing difficulties because of things like
- need for support
- educational or employment reasons
- are at risk of losing your home
- are leaving the armed forces
- need to move to support your children’s educational and social development
- need alternative housing to provide care for your children or relatives
We'll not award points based on:
- Your household income
- If you and your spouse currently live together
- Your marital status
- The length of time you've lived in Fife
- Your age (provided you are over 16 years old)
If you've any tenancy related debts, this won't affect your points if:
- You weren't the tenant
- The debt's been cleared
- Less than one month’s rent's due
- You've made arrangements and you're continuing to pay the debt
If your circumstances change at all, you must let us know. It could affect your points.
Also, it’s important that you respond to the review letters we will send you. These will come on a regular basis. It's our way of checking your details are the same and you've had no changes to your circumstances.
Our FHR Partners have their own allocation policies, which can be found on the website. Please visit https://www.fifehousingregister.org.uk