Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our 'Cookies page'.

Social Media / Embedded Media cookies

We would like to allow Twitter and Facebook cookies: this will allow the listing of Fife Council tweets and Facebook posts on some of our pages. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

We would like to allow embedded media cookies: we occasionally display Google maps and embed audio and video in our pages, e.g., using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

All Docs



If you live in an area prone to flooding, there is preventative actions and practical advice to help protect your property, belongings and your family in a flooding emergency.

We have recently completed 2 projects which are aimed to manage flooding and coastal erosion. The Dunfermline Flood Prevention scheme is a major engineering project that will reduce the risk of flooding at vulnerable locations in the south-west of Dunfermline and the Kirkcaldy Sea Wall to protect against coastal erosion.

If you are at immediate risk of flooding contact us on 03451 55 00 11 option 4 (Roads and Transportation)

There are plenty of ways to stay informed. Find the latest advice:


To report a non emergency flood on the road, you can do this online at Up-to-the-minute information is also available from SEPA at or via their Floodline 0345 988 1188.

There's also a new mobile website to make live flooding information more accessible to users on the go.

The website is

Flooding can also bring health risks. For information on how to protect yourself go to or

Flood Risk Management

SEPA is working closely with the Scottish Government, local authorities and Scottish Water to implement a new approach to manage flood risk in Scotland. It will help to target resources in areas where they can have the greatest impact.

Further information on flood risk management planning and how this will be practically implemented is available on SEPA's website:

Phone lines to the emergency services and Fife Council will be extremely busy during a flooding emergency. Only phone them if you really need to.

Related Publications