Is the cost of living crisis affecting you?
Make sure you’re getting the help you're entitled to.Visit our site
Getting to school
Under your own steam
The healthiest and most fun way for children to get to school is by walking, cycling and scooting. Making more use of active travel options will improve their physical and mental health too.
Any primary school child who lives more than 1 mile from their catchment school is entitled to free school transport. Secondary pupils get free transport to their catchment school if they live more than two miles away. See below for more details.
If you are thinking about using a car to get to/from school remember that parking near schools is strongly discouraged for safety reasons. Look for alternative drop off points, away from the school, where you and your children can walk the remaining distance.
Free public transport
Approximately 13,000 pupils travel daily to school on transport arranged by Fife Council.
Our policy is to provide transport for:
- primary school children who live more than one mile away, and
- secondary school children who live more than two miles away from their catchment school.
You are only entitled to transport to your catchment school, if you are going to a different school through a placing request you may not be entitled to school transport.
You can check if you will get transport to school, by clicking on one of the four maps.
If you are entitled to travel on a school bus, you will be allocated a bus and issued with a travel pass. Lost or damaged passes should be reported to the school office. Pupils who do not live on a bus route may be entitled to travel by taxi or minibus for all or part of their journey.
All enquiries relating to school transport should be directed to the school office.
Bus service and timetable information can be found on the school website or by visiting Travel Fife
- Information for parents/carers of children and young people who travel to school by bus
- Responsibilities of parents and carers of children and young people who travel to/from school by bus
- School Bus Companies' Contact Details
- Walked Routes to Schools - Assessment Policy
- Guidelines for the School Transport of looked after and accommodated children and young people
- Transport Request Form 2022-23
- Transport Request Form Guidelines 2022-23