Our use of cookies

Some cookies used are essential to providing a service, while others help us improve your experience and provide us with insights into how the site is being used.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Cookie preferences

Planning an Event - Apply/Acquire

In phase 3 of the event planning, you are ready to apply and acquire relevant permissions for your event.

Event Permission – Parks and Open Spaces

If you're looking to hold an event at one of the park's green spaces, beaches or the coastal path, please contact the Event Team for an application form.

It's important for the event organiser to read the terms and conditions for the use of parks and green spaces (see appendix 1 of the ‘Planning for a safe and successful event guide’ - coming soon).

If you're thinking of holding your event at Lochore Meadows Park, please visit the Active Fife website for more information.

Outdoor Access Rights and Responsibilities

Section 11 of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 allows local authorities, whether on application from third parties or on their own initiative, by order, to exempt a particular area of land and/or inland water from access rights.

Some events require restrictions to access rights for safety reasons. If your event requires restriction and limitation to access rights by members of the public, please make sure that you've completed the Fife Exemption Order application form. You can request the application form and receive further information by contacting

Private Spaces

There are many private spaces in Fife whereby you can hold an event, subject to the private Landlord/Landlady’s event permission procedure. You must make sure that you've obtained all appropriate permissions from the private Landlord/Landlady.

Moreover, you must ensure that you've met all safety and legislative requirements, including but not limited to health and safety, licensing, temporary traffic restrictions order (TTRO) etc.


If your event involves the sale of alcohol, food, other goods and/or the provision of entertainment you must apply for all appropriate licences.

You can apply for a wide range of licences from Fife Council. For most licences, a fee will be required.

To apply for an Occasional Licence for the sale and consumption of alcohol at any event, please note that you must apply at least 6 weeks before the date of the event. For more information see the Occasional licence page.

Further details on licences including how to apply and pay are stated on the Other licences page of our website.

Permission to Use Roads and Pavements

If part of or all of your event needs to impact any part of a road, pavement, cycle path or car park, you'll have to apply for permission.

Using our online forms is the quickest and easiest way to apply for permission. Further information on applications and costs can be found in our Road and pavement permits section.

Consideration should be given to traffic management and local car park provisions. Where possible, event organisers should encourage their attendees and spectators to use Public and Active Transport.

Notification to hold a parade or demonstration

Any group or organisation wishing to hold a street parade, procession or demonstration is asked to notify the council at least 28 days before the event, giving details of the date, time, route and the estimated number of participants. You need to complete the Application for Temporary Traffic Restrictions for Events form.

There are a number of standard conditions which the council imposes for all parades, including the organisers’ responsibility for the safety and conduct of the participants. We ask that you also complete a risk assessment form.

The proposals will be sent to the Chief Constable who will consider issues of public safety and the availability of police resources. Roads and Transportation will consider the effect of any road works and bus routes.

Environmental Health Information

Event organisers have a duty to comply with Environmental Health requirements, which include:

  • providing food safety certificates
  • providing gas and electrical safety certificates
  • ADIPS/PIPA registrations for bouncy castles, inflatables and fairgrounds

Further information on environmental health requirements is available in our guide Environmental health information for event organisers.

Bouncy Castles and Other Play Inflatables and Fairgrounds and Amusement Parks: Guidance on Safe Practice provide further guidance on safety standards and legal requirements on the Health and Safety Executive website.

You can find further guidance on providing food at events at Food Standards Scotland.

Further environmental issues to consider when planning for your event include waste management and recycling; noise control, weather and local residents. For further details on these, please refer to the ‘Planning for a safe and successful event – guide’ - coming soon.

Temporary Raised Structures

Section 89 of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 stipulates that temporarily raised structures require local authority approval prior to use.

Fife Council consider that temporary raised structures that need approval are where:

  1. any part of the floor or platform level is 600 mm or more above ground level, and
  2. which persons have access onto

Typical examples of temporary raised structures (where they meet conditions 1 and 2 above) generally include, but are not limited to:

  • stages
  • grandstands
  • tents and marquees
  • other specialised raised platforms, for example, scaffolding for television towers

Temporary Raised Structures - Redacted Protocol for Customer Guidance has been designed to provide you with further information on temporary raised structures and Section 89.

Trading Standards

There are several legal requirements that business or trade sellers must comply with, in respect of the goods they sell. This is both for the actual goods themselves and the way they are sold. The relevant areas include:

  • pricing
  • consumer rights and remedies
  • product safety
  • weights and measures
  • hallmarking, depending on the type of goods sold

All goods must be:

  • accurately and clearly priced
  • free from defects
  • safe from hazards
  • not be counterfeit

Applicable goods must:

  • indicate an accurate weight or volume and certain other required legal markings
  • if age-restricted, not supplied to anyone underage

The website contains free and impartial information and is Government-backed. It was set up by the Chartered Trading Standards Institute to provide guidance for businesses that need to know about all aspects of trading standards and consumer protection legislation. Make sure you select the Scotland option at the top of the page if you are trading in Scotland.

Public Liability

All event organisers must provide evidence of holding a current public liability insurance for their event. We require cover for a minimum of £5 million. The purpose of the insurance is to protect the event organiser from third-party liability.

Fife Council does not provide or arrange insurance for your event. We are also unable to recommend an insurer. You may find it useful to contact an insurance broker who can help you source and purchase suitable insurance.

However, the Council arranges and administers a public liability insurance policy for Fife’s Community Councils. For a Community Council’s event to be insured, you must notify the Risk Management Team at, in advance of the event.

Contact Us

Events Team
Fife House
North Street
Fife, KY7 5LT

Telephone: 01592 583109