Leave Feedback

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our 'Cookies page'.

Social Media / Embedded Media cookies

We would like to allow Twitter and Facebook cookies: this will allow the listing of Fife Council tweets and Facebook posts on some of our pages. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

We would like to allow embedded media cookies: we occasionally display Google maps and embed audio and video in our pages, e.g., using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

All Docs

Who pays council tax

Coronavirus - money & benefits updates

Service changes and support due to coronavirus


You’ll usually have to pay council tax if you’re 18 or over and own or rent a home. Spouses and partners who live together are both responsible for paying the bill. The responsibility for paying council tax applies in the following order:

  • Owner who lives in the property
  • Tenant who lives in the property
  • Subtenant who lives in the property
  • Someone else who lives in the property
  • The owner if nobody lives in the property

The following people are responsible for paying the council tax bill:

  • Married couples
  • Couples who live together as if married
  • People in a civil partnership
  • Joint owners
  • Joint tenants

We can choose to collect the full amount of the council tax bill from anyone who is legally responsible for it. It is then up to the person who has paid to get any monies back from the other parties.

Where individuals are either jointly and severally liable for a debt or have a sole debt we may, where necessary, discuss details of any prior debt with your current partner.  If you do not wish us to discuss your outstanding previous sole debt with your new joint partner, you can request that we do not share this information by emailing

Please note that where there is a legitimate reason, we may still need to share this information.

In certain circumstances, depending on who is living in the property, we will charge the owner for the council tax, even if they are not living in the property themselves.

This includes properties shared by:

  • Many different households (known as a 'house in multiple occupation') where the property has been constructed/adapted for occupation by people who are not a single household; and
  • Properties used only by religious communities.