Leave Feedback

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our 'Cookies page'.

Social Media / Embedded Media cookies

We would like to allow Twitter and Facebook cookies: this will allow the listing of Fife Council tweets and Facebook posts on some of our pages. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

We would like to allow embedded media cookies: we occasionally display Google maps and embed audio and video in our pages, e.g., using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

All Docs

Council tax bands and charges

Coronavirus - money & benefits updates

Service changes and support due to coronavirus


The amount of council tax you pay relates to the valuation band of your property.

The Assessor will have set your property in one of eight valuations bands. According to its value on the open market at 1st April 1991. The workings use band D charge as the base.

Scottish Assessors Association (SAA) provides the following online:

  • Scotland valuation rolls & council tax lists.

You can lodge an appeal with the Assessor if you disagree with the band in which your property has been placed. The legal term for this is 'a proposal'.  The Assessor is an independent official, not an officer of the council.

Water and waste water charges are set by Scottish Water and billed alongside council tax.

You can find more information about water charges:

You may not have to pay the full amount as there are discounts and exemptions available. If you are on a low income you may qualify for council tax reduction.