Our use of cookies

Some cookies used are essential to providing a service, while others help us improve your experience and provide us with insights into how the site is being used.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Cookie preferences

Transfer Incentive Scheme

  • Do you live in a Fife Council tenancy?
  • Is your home too big for your needs or unsuitable in other ways, and would you be interested in a move to a more suitable property?
  • Would you move if there was some practical help available to cut down the hassle?

If you answer yes to these questions, the Transfer Incentive Scheme may be of interest to you.

Due to a shortage of types of housing across Fife, we've introduced the Transfer Incentive Scheme to help tenants who want to downsize or move for other reasons. The aim is to help tenants to move to more appropriate housing so that the homes can be re-used to meet the need of other families on the housing list.

Who is eligible for the Scheme?

Any Fife Council tenants who either want or need to move home, and are living in properties that could be re-used to meet the needs of other households on the housing list, are eligible.

How does the scheme work?

The Transfer Incentive Scheme is a grant which can be used to:

  • Provide resettlement assistance - help with moving costs or other practical arrangement (such as decoration)
  • To provide temporary rent exemption or rent assistance to allow a move to go ahead
  • To improve the decoration standard of a current tenant to avoid re-charge costs, for example

Grants are available of up to £1,500.

I'm interested, what do I need to do next?

  • Make sure you have an application for housing on Fife Housing Register (FHR)
  • Contact your Local Customer Service Centre to let them know you may be interested and to arrange a meeting with an appropriate Officer. A member of the Housing Team will meet with you to discuss your needs and options available.

The Housing Team must confirm that, by using the scheme, it would be of benefit to both the council and yourself:

  • improve your circumstances
  • allow the council to make better use of your property
  • create a vacancy to meet the needs of other households on the Fife Housing Register

Even if you don’t have ‘points’ for a move, a transfer can still take place if the above criteria are met.

In arranging a move, we will take full account of your housing circumstances including, health conditions, the size / type of property that would suit you and your preferences (property type for example).

Any possible offer of housing will be fully discussed with you.

Is there anything else that I need to be aware of?

The move would be voluntary – you can change you mind at any time before you accept an offer of alternative accommodation.

If the Council can not make the best use of your property, you would not be eligible for the Scheme

For more information, please call us on 03451 55 00 33.