Annual gas service
The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 place a duty of care on the council to carry out an annual service and safety check to all gas appliances and flues that have been installed and are owned by us. This is to ensure they are safe to use. All service and maintenance must be carried out by a gas safe registered engineer
When your annual service is due, our contractor will send you a letter to let you know when they plan to visit.
Please ensure that you have gas and electricity available to allow a service to be carried out. If you worry about your fuel bills or find your home hard to heat, call Cosy Kingdom’s free energy and debt advice service on 01592 858458 or text Cosy then your name to 88440.
No access for service
If your first appointment we send is not suitable please get in touch so we can arrange a date that is suitable for you. Please note we are only able to move your Gas Service to within 3 weeks of the original date and we are only able to rearrange this appointment on one occasion. Due to our statutory requirement to service your gas, this has to be done within prescribed timescales.To rearrange, click on the chat button on the top right hand side of this page.
Under Section 4, paragraphs 4.25 and 4.26 of your Tenancy Agreement, we can force access to your home. Remember, this is a last resort and we would only force entry if you refuse to allow us into your home or no one is home when we call. If we have to do this, we will charge you for the cost of gaining entry and any new locks which may be required. A letter will be attached to your door advising who to contact to arrange delivery of your new keys.
You also face having your gas meter or the gas appliances capped if no gas or electricity is available at the time the engineer calls. This would mean you would have no heating or hot water, and possibly cooking facilities.
Remember, if the first appointment that you receive is not suitable, get in touch so we can re-arrange another appointment.
Stay safe at home by following these rules:
- ask for a copy of the landlord’s current gas safety record within 28 days of the check being completed or, if you’re a new tenant, before you move in;
- check the ID card of any gas engineer that comes to do work in your home. The engineer must be gas safe registered;
- check the engineer is qualified for the work you need doing, You can find this information on the back of the ID card;
- cooperate with your landlord and let a registered engineer in when a gas safety check or servicing has to be done, and
- arrange for any gas appliances you own to be regularly serviced and safety checked every year.
You must not:
- Use any gas appliance or fittings that are unsafe
- Paint any appliance, gas fire casing or surround
- Block any air vents or other forms of ventilation
Remember, if you think a gas appliance is faulty turn it off and let us know immediately. If you feel unwell seek medical help immediately.
For more information and to find and check an engineer go to www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.