Leave Feedback

All Docs

Free school meals and school clothing grants


Free school meals and school clothing grants 2019/2020

We can provide free school meals and a school clothing grant of £100.00 per child if you are on a low income.

To qualify for free schools meals and a school clothing grant you must be in receipt of one of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
  • Child Tax Credit only with annual income below £16,105
  • Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit with annual income below £6900
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
  • Universal Credit - including those with a take home pay of up to £610 per month
  • Long Term Incapacity Benefit  (school clothing grant only)
  • Widows Allowance -  if not in full time employment (school clothing grant only)
  • Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit with annual income below £16,105 (school clothing grant only)

If you don’t meet this criteria but your child is in P1-3, they can still receive free school meals. Free school milk will only be given if the above criteria is met.

How to apply

If you don’t have access to a PC or mobile device with an internet connection, you can use:

If you need help completing the application form you can contact us:

Once you have made an application you will need to provide evidence to support your claim. This should be the most up to date, original, award letter for the benefit you receive.

The options for providing evidence are:

  • upload it;
  • hand it in to your local office by appointment, or
  • send to the Benefits and Council Tax team at the address below.

You don't need to provide evidence of income if you already receive:

  • Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction.

Payment of school clothing grants

The earliest date a school clothing grant will be paid is 13th June 2019 thereafter payments will be made on weekly basis.

Reporting changes

If your child/children receive free school meals you must notify us of any changes to your household details. For example, if:

  • you change address;
  • your child changes school, or
  • your child leaves school.

You can report a change;

For more information on free school meals and school clothing grants contact the Benefits and Council Tax Enquiries team:

For more information on managing your benefits, living on a budget or help to find work, please see our Benefits Section: