Is the cost of living crisis affecting you?
Make sure you’re getting the help you're entitled to.Visit our site
Free School Meals and School Clothing Grants
We can provide free school meals and a school clothing grant if you are on a low income. The school clothing grant is £120 per child for primary school pupils and £150 per child for high school pupils.
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
- Child Tax Credit only with annual income below £18,725
- Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit with annual income up to £8,717
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit, with monthly earned income of not more than £726
- Long Term Incapacity Benefit (school clothing grant only)
- Widows Allowance - if not in full-time employment (school clothing grant only)
- Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit with annual income below £18,725 (school clothing grant only)
You can also receive free school meals and clothing grant if you care for a child as part of a kinship care agreement.
All children in primary 1-5 can receive a free school meal without an application however, you must still apply to receive free school milk and a school clothing grant.
During the Christmas Holidays
Parents and carers of children who receive Free School Meals based on benefit entitlement will get a payment of £24.00 per child (£2.40 per day) for the Christmas holidays. There is no need to apply for this payment, it will be made into your bank account on Wednesday 20th December.
Scottish Child Payment
Scottish Child Payment applications are now open for children aged 6 – 15.
It is important that you make your application as soon as possible. If you already receive Scottish Child Payment for a child under 6 but you have older children you must contact Social Security Scotland to let them know.
You can apply online at www.mygov.scot/scottish-child-payment which should take around 10 to 20 minutes in total. Before applying, you'll need:
- the dates of birth of any children you have
- your partner's details, if you have a partner
- your bank details, if you have an account
If you cannot apply online, you can apply by calling Social Security Scotland free on 0800 182 2222. Please be aware that lines may be busy, due to the number of children and families who are newly eligible for this benefit, therefore it may take longer than normal for calls to be answered.