Martyr's Monument

Martyr's Monument

The 10-metre-high sandstone obelisk, which was built in 1843, commemorates a number of protestant martyrs who were executed, by being burned at the stake, in St Andrews, in the 16th Century. The monument sits on the Scores, overlooking the Old Course and the North Sea. It had suffered badly from erosion, due to its exposed position, and had been closed off for a number of years due to falling masonry.

Funding for the restoration was raised privately, by the St Andrews Partnership, and works were procured and managed by Property Services, with support from specialist Conservation Architect, Stephen Newsom. The restoration commenced in August 2012 and required eight months of delicate work, including specialist stone repairs, repointing, cleaning and moss removal and stone carving, as well as landscaping and interpretive works.

The monument was re-inaugurated on 22 May 2013, in a ceremony led by the provost of Fife, Jim Leishman. The speaker was the former Bishop of Edinburgh, Dr Richard Holloway. Clergy from Protestant and Roman Catholic churches in St Andrews took part in the ceremony.


Location: St Andrews

Value: £82,000

Start Date: June 2012

End Date: April 2013

Main Contractor: Fleming Masonry