Leave Feedback

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our 'Cookies page'.

Social Media / Embedded Media cookies

We would like to allow Twitter and Facebook cookies: this will allow the listing of Fife Council tweets and Facebook posts on some of our pages. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

We would like to allow embedded media cookies: we occasionally display Google maps and embed audio and video in our pages, e.g., using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

All Docs

Brown tourist signs

Brown tourist signs

Roads and Transportation Services are responsible for signing to tourist destinations on the local roads network throughout Fife. Traffic Scotland are responsible for signs on Trunk Roads, but this is usually contracted by them to companies like AMEY or Bear Scotland.

We only accept applications for Brown Tourist signs on a public road from:

  • accredited members of Visit Scotland; or
  • the AA accredited businesses

Visit Scotland members
Visit Scotland, can provide members with a Tourist Signposting Letter.  You can find out more information about Visit Scotland by visiting their website.

AA members
Businesses accreditation is available from the AA for members. Please contact them for written confirmation of this.

What happens next?
Once you receive the Tourist Signposting letter, you should contact us to discuss your requirements. We will put a design together which will include the following:

  • Approval of where the signs will be placed
  • Details of the look and size of the signs
  • An estimate of the cost

Please note: There are no up-front fees for this design service, but if you decide to go ahead, you will receive an invoice for the following costs:

  • New poles
  • Relocating/renewing existing signs
  • Traffic control during the works
  • "Passively safe" poles

You will be responsible for the cost of non-routine maintenance or replacement of signs, but the sign itself will always be owned by the Council.

The signs can only remain in place for as long as you are part of the tourist accreditation scheme.

If you were to leave the tourist accreditation scheme then you will also be liable for the costs for the signs to be removed.