Our use of cookies

Some cookies used are essential to providing a service, while others help us improve your experience and provide us with insights into how the site is being used.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Cookie preferences

Street trader’s licence

A Street Trader’s Licence is required for each individual whether on their own account or as an employee who is selling, offering or exposing for sale any article in a public place.  A licence is also required for any individual offering to carry out or carrying out for money or money’s worth any service.

A Street Trader’s licence is not required for

  • the sale of newspapers only
  • the sale of milk by or on behalf of a person registered under the Food Safety Act 1990
  • the sale of coal or fuel derived from coal or coke
  • any activity for which a certificate under the Pedlar's Act 1871 has been granted
  • any activity for which a more specific licence is required
  • organising or participating in a public charitable collection, which has been granted permission under subsection (16) of section 119 of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982

Further details on the legislation governing this type of licence can be found by clicking on the Useful Links below - Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982.

How to Apply

You can apply for a street trader's licence online.

For more information on:

  • how to submit an application
  • the documentation and fee required
  • the application process
  • the time it takes to process your application
  • the standard conditions attached to a Street Trader’s licence

Useful Links

Related Publications

List of Approved Fees - wef 1.4.2024

Street Trader guidance