Leave Feedback

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our 'Cookies page'.

Social Media / Embedded Media cookies

We would like to allow Twitter and Facebook cookies: this will allow the listing of Fife Council tweets and Facebook posts on some of our pages. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

We would like to allow embedded media cookies: we occasionally display Google maps and embed audio and video in our pages, e.g., using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

All Docs

Public entertainment licence

A Public Entertainment Licence is required for the use of premises as a place of public entertainment.

A “place of public entertainment” means any place where, members of the public are admitted or may use any facilities for the purpose of entertainment or recreation but does not include:

  • an athletic or sports ground whilst being used as such
  • premises being used in terms of an Indoor Sport Entertainment licence
  • an educational establishment while being used as such
  • premises belonging or being occupied by a religious body while being used wholly or mainly for a purpose connected with that body
  • premises licensed under the Cinemas Act 1985
  • premises licensed under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 where the entertainment does not exceed the licensed hours

Entertainment” in terms of Fife Council’s resolution includes activities such as Dances, Plays/Dramatic Productions, Concerts, Discos, Circuses, and Carnivals. It also includes Church Halls and Public Halls.  If you are unsure whether the activity on offer is covered by Fife Council’s resolution please contact the Licensing Team.

A temporary Public Entertainment licence application can be made for one off events such as funfairs and circuses.  Applications for such events will not be considered unless there is at least 4 weeks’ notice of the event.

Further details on the legislation governing this type of licence can be found by clicking on the Useful Links below - Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982.

For more information on:

  • how to submit an application
  • the documentation and fee required
  • the application process
  • the time it takes to process your application
  • the standard conditions attached to a Public Entertainment licence

Useful Links

Related Publications