A Public Entertainment Licence is required for the use of premises as a place of public entertainment.
A “place of public entertainment” means any place where, members of the public are admitted or may use any facilities for the purpose of entertainment or recreation but does not include:
- an athletic or sports ground whilst being used as such
- premises being used in terms of an Indoor Sport Entertainment licence
- an educational establishment while being used as such
- premises belonging or being occupied by a religious body while being used wholly or mainly for a purpose connected with that body
- premises licensed under either the Cinemas Act 1985 or the Theatres Act 1968
- premises licensed under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 where the entertainment does not exceed the licensed hours
Entertainment” in terms of Fife Council’s resolution includes activities such as Dances, Plays/Dramatic Productions, Concerts, Discos, Circuses, and Carnivals. It also includes Church Halls and Public Halls. If you are unsure whether the activity on offer is covered by Fife Council’s resolution please contact the Licensing Team.
A temporary Public Entertainment licence application can be made for one off events such as funfairs and circuses. Applications for such events will not be considered unless there is at least 4 weeks’ notice of the event.
Further details on the legislation governing this type of licence can be found by clicking on the Useful Links below - Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982.
For more information on:
- how to submit an application
- the documentation and fee required
- the application process
- the time it takes to process your application
- the standard conditions attached to a Public Entertainment licence
please consult the “application pack” publication below.
- Environmental Health Events Information for Event Organisations
- Event Example Risk Assessment Template
- Events Food Spreadsheet
- Events H&S Spreadsheet
- Events Safety Management Plan
- Fife Events Quick Reference Guide
- Public Entertainment Licence - Application Pack
- Temporary Raised Structures - Redacted protocol for customer guidance