Leave Feedback

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our 'Cookies page'.

Social Media / Embedded Media cookies

We would like to allow Twitter and Facebook cookies: this will allow the listing of Fife Council tweets and Facebook posts on some of our pages. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

We would like to allow embedded media cookies: we occasionally display Google maps and embed audio and video in our pages, e.g., using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

All Docs

Holiday Accommodation Waste

By law, every business in Scotland including guest houses, self-catering accommodation and applicable B&B’s have a legal responsibility for the waste they generate.

Are you a holiday accommodation owner and should you be complying with the waste regulations?.

The Law

Holiday accommodation owners must ensure they store, transfer, transport and dispose of their business waste without harming the environment.

Business waste must not be disposed of within public litter bins, domestic waste bins, recycling points or at recycling centres. Business waste should be transferred to a registered waste contractor.

For more information on your duty of care, please visit our webpage Duty of Care - Your Waste Responsibilities.

In addition, all holiday accommodations in Scotland must separate waste for recycling.

The Waste (Scotland) Regulations 2012 require guest houses, self-catering accommodations and applicable B&B’s to take all reasonable steps to separate the following materials for collection and recycling:

  • Glass (Including drinks bottles and empty food jars)
  • Metal (including cans, tins, aluminium trays
  • Plastic (including drinks bottles, rinsed empty food containers and rinsed cleaning products bottles)
  • Paper
  • Cardboard

Where the holiday accommodation provides bins/containers for the collection of recyclable waste, it is expected that suitable recycling facilities are made available. As a minimum you should provide:

  • Internal Segregation - Facilities for customers to recycle glass, metal, plastic, paper and cardboard.
  • Labelling - Recycling facilities should be adequately labelled to avoid contamination of recyclables and general waste.
  • Communication - Accommodation owners should communicate effectively with their customers, for example, customers checking in or picking up keys should be informed of recycling requirements and the importance of using the systems provided correctly.
  • Monitoring - Check periodically for contamination and make improvements where necessary.
  • Location - Recycling facilities should be co-located with general waste collection facilities.

Holiday Accommodation Food Waste

The Waste (Scotland) Regulations 2012 also require food businesses, including guest houses and applicable B&B’s in most areas producing over 5 kg of food waste per week to take all reasonable steps to ensure food waste is separately collected *

*However, self-catering accommodations is not defined as a ‘food business’ and therefore not legally required to provide facilities to segregate food waste, although it is encouraged.

Some rural guest houses and B&B’s may be exempt from the food requirements.  Use the rural postcode checker to check if you are in an exempted area.

Useful Links

Related Publications

Contact Duty of Care Waste Team

View Privacy Notice