Leave Feedback

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our 'Cookies page'.

Social Media / Embedded Media cookies

We would like to allow Twitter and Facebook cookies: this will allow the listing of Fife Council tweets and Facebook posts on some of our pages. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

We would like to allow embedded media cookies: we occasionally display Google maps and embed audio and video in our pages, e.g., using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

All Docs

Food waste bags


Coronavirus - Waste and recycling services

Please check for latest updates about services changes due to coronavirus


Many collection points for free food waste bags have reopened across Fife and we have added other collection points where sites have not been able to offer this service. See the table below to find collection points in your area. Householders can collect up to three free rolls of food waste bags every 12 months. Additional collection points may be added to this list when possible.

We are unable to make other arrangements to provide householders with food waste bags at present. Compostable food waste bags are available at most supermarkets so can be purchased when carrying out essential shopping. You can also use newspaper to wrap your food waste or put food into the brown bin loose, especially foods such as bread and vegetable peelings.

AreaFree food waste bag collection points
North East Fife AreaAuchtermuchty Community CentreNewport-on-Tay Library and Heritage Centre
 Cupar Customer Service CentrePittenweem Library
 East Fife Mobile LibrarySt Andrews Library
 Newburgh Library and Heritage CentreTayport Library
Levenmouth Area Buckhaven LibraryMethil Customer Service Centre
 Coaltown of Wemyss Village Corner ShopSandy Brae Community Centre, Kennoway
 Largo Library and Community HubThe Centre, Leven
 Leven Library and Customer Service CentreWindygates Post Office
Glenrothes Area Collydean Neighbourhood CentreJubilee Centre
 Exit CentreLomond Centre
 Glenrothes Customer Service CentreMarkinch Rail Station
 Glenwood Community Use School 
Kirkcaldy Area Balwearie Community Use School, KirkcaldyKirkcaldy Customer Service Centre (Town House)
 Dysart Primary School (9:30-2:30)Macaulays Fruit & Veg Merchant, Burntisland
 Grain and Sustain, BurntislandGreener Kirkcaldy
 Templehall Community Centre, KirkcaldyWindmill Community Campus, Kirkcaldy
 Kinghorn Community Centre 
Cowdenbeath Area Cardenden LibraryJenny Lee Library (Lochgelly Centre) 
 Corrie Centre, CardendenKelty Community Centre
 Cowdenbeath LibraryMaxwell Centre, Cowdenbeath
Dunfermline Area Dunfermline Carnegie Library and GalleriesKingseat Community Centre
 Duloch Leisure CentreQueen Anne Community Use School
 Dunfermline Advice Hub Townhill Community Centre
 Dunfermline Customer Service Centre (City Chambers) Tryst Centre
South West Fife AreaAberdour LibraryOakley Library
 Camdean Community Centre, RosythParkgate Community Leisure Centre, Rosyth
 Dalgety Bay LibraryRosyth Library
 Inverkeithing Customer Service CentreRosyth Community Hub
 Kincardine Customer Service Centre Valleyfield Library
 North Queensferry Community CentreValleyfield Community Centre
 Oakley Community Centre

Can I buy extra food waste bags?

Food waste bags are available at leisure centres in Fife. Food waste bags are available for £1.30 per roll of 25 bags – priced to be cheaper for Fifers than other sources.

Leisure centres selling food waste bags
Beacon Leisure CentreCupar Sports CentreLeven Swimming Pool and Sports Centre
Bowhill Swimming PoolDalgety Bay Sports and Leisure CentreMichael Woods Sports and Leisure Centre
Carnegie Leisure CentreEast Sands Leisure CentrePitraevie Athletics Centre
Cowdenbeath Leisure CentreKirkcaldy Leisure CentreWaterstone Crook Sports Centre

Is there anything else I can do to wrap food waste?

Yes. You can use newspaper to wrap your food waste or put food into the brown bin loose, especially dry foods such as bread.

You can buy food waste bags not provided by Fife Council. These can be used in our system provided you see the compostable symbol. This will ensure that the bags will compost in our Anaerobic Digestion Plant and create compost. Most 7-litre compostable bags fit into the food waste caddies provided by Fife Council. The bags purchased for Fife Council are 200mm (bottom) x 390mm (top) x 360mm (length).