Our use of cookies

Some cookies used are essential to providing a service, while others help us improve your experience and provide us with insights into how the site is being used.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Cookie preferences

All Docs

Need immediate assistance?

Energy Emergencies

  • If you have a power cut, you should call 105
  • If you have a gas emergency, you should call 0800 111 999 immediately
  • If you have a faulty meter, you should call your energy supplier

Emergency Fuel Top Up

If you run out of money on your meter or used your emergency credit and cannot afford to top up, please contact your energy supplier for immediate assistance.

If you're a Fife Council tenant, contact your housing management officer or the nearest local office for help and advice.

If you are living in temporary accommodation, speak to your temporary accommodation management officer.

The Scottish Welfare Fund provides a safety net for vulnerable people on low incomes by providing community care grants and crisis grants. These awards are not loans, so you do not need to pay them back. The grants are designed to help people who are on a low income, so you can apply even if you do not claim benefits. Please click "Crisis and community care grants" for more information.

If none of these is possible, Cosy Kingdom may also be able to help. If you're having difficulty topping up your meter due to mobility or issues in your personal life, please contact them for advice on 01592 807930. You can also fill out the referral form at the bottom of this page.

Not sure who supplies your energy?

You can find out who your gas or electricity supplier is and details of your energy tariff on a recent energy bill.

If you don't have a bill available, or if you've just moved home and aren't sure which utility company supplies your new property, you can use the services below.

  • Who is my gas supplier?
    • Use the Meter Point Administration's online search tool: Find My Supplier
    • Call 0870 608 1524 (this call will cost 7p per minute plus your telephone company´s access charge).
    • The Administration Service can also give you your gas Meter Point Reference Number, or 'MPRN'. This tells your energy supplier where your meter is located.
  • Who is my electricity supplier?
    • Use the Energy Networks Association postcode search tool to find out the name of your network operator and their telephone number. Your network operator will be able to tell you who supplies your electricity.

What to do if your energy supplier goes bust

You’ll still have gas and electricity if your energy supplier goes out of business.

The gas and electricity regulator, Ofgem, will move you to a new supplier. This usually takes a few weeks. Wait for your new supplier to contact you. They’ll explain what will happen with your account.

Don’t switch tariffs or suppliers until your account is moved to the new supplier. You might find it harder to get any money you’re owed if you switch before this happens.

If you were in debt with your old supplier then this will still have to be paid back. The new supplier will contact you; if they're taking on the debt then they will let you know. If the new supplier does not take this on, then an administrator for the old company will be in contact to arrange to take back the money due.

If your new tariff is more expensive than the old one, then you should contact your new supplier to make sure you’re on the best tariff for you. You can switch if you’re not happy with your new supplier or tariff and you can do this without paying an exit fee.

If you need any assistance switching suppliers, Cosy Kingdom can do this for you. Please visit their website for more information.