Community councils are made up of people who care about their community and want to make it a better place to live.
You can find out which community council area you live at www.communitycouncils.scot.
As well as representing the community, community councils organise activities which promote their communities and bring local people together to help make things happen.
Community councils are normally elected once every four years. The last community council elections took place on 4 October 2018.
Any community councils which are established after the regular four yearly round of elections will only run until the date of the next round of elections. All members will need to stand for re-election if they wish to continue as a community councillor.
You can access a list of current community councils in Fife here.
If anyone is interested in re-establishing one of the inactive community councils you will need to organise a petition and get it signed by 20 electors (people who are on the electoral register) from the community council area. A template petition is available here.
Draft Scheme for the establishment of Community Councils in Fife
A review of the Fife Community Council Scheme is currently underway. The updated Scheme covers the rules and regulations governing Community Councils, including proposed boundary changes, election procedures, meeting arrangements, membership, and conduct. The process for review is set out in Section 53 of the 1973 Local Government (Scotland) Act.
Following approval of proposals by no less than two-thirds of elected members, at the meeting of Fife Council on 12th November, 2020, it was agreed that the draft Scheme of Establishment and proposed Boundary changes be consulted upon.
Your views are welcome on the Draft Scheme and proposed Boundary changes and these will be used to help shape the final documents to be submitted to the Fife Council for approval on 11th March, 2021. The final period of consultation will run until 25 January 2021. Copies of the draft Scheme and proposed Boundary changes are available below. Please email your response to firstname.lastname@example.org
- (1) Scheme for the Establishment of Community Councils in Fife
- Community Council Election Rules - Approved with effect from 1 July 2018
- Community Council petition template
- Community Councils Frequently Asked Questions
- Declaration of Acceptance of Office - Form
- Financial Guidelines
- Good Practice Agreement
- Information Booklet for Community Councils
- List of Secretaries & Chairs for Community Councils - Central
- List of Secretaries & Chairs for Community Councils - East
- List of Secretaries & Chairs for Community Councils - West
- Model Standing Orders 2006
- National Standards for Community Engagement
- Retention guidelines
- Summary of Insurance Cover
- Top 10 Tasks for Community Councils