Community councils are made up of people who care about their community and want to make it a better place to live.
You can find out which community council area you live at www.communitycouncils.scot.
As well as representing the community, community councils organise activities that promote their communities and bring local people together to help make things happen.
Community councils are normally elected once every four years. The last community council elections took place on 4 October 2018.
Any community councils which are established after the regular four yearly round of elections will only run until the date of the next round of elections. All members will need to stand for re-election if they wish to continue as a community councillor.
If anyone is interested in re-establishing one of the inactive community councils you will need to organise a petition and get it signed by 20 electors (people who are on the electoral register) from the community council area. A template petition is available here.
LOCAL GOVERNMENT (SCOTLAND) ACT 1973 AMENDED SCHEME FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF COMMUNITY COUNCILS IN FIFE
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that, following a Special Meeting held on 11th March, 2021, Fife Council, in exercise of the powers conferred upon it under Section 53 (3) of the above-mentioned Act, agreed to amend the Scheme for the Establishment of Community Councils, effective from 11th March, 2021.
Details of the outcome of the consultation and a copy of the amended Scheme are available via the following links:-
- The Scheme of Establishment for Community Councils (2021)
- Appendix 1 - Table of Agreed Community Council Boundary Proposals
- Appendix 2 - Maps relative to Community Council Boundary Proposals
- Community Council petition template
- Community Councils Frequently Asked Questions
- Declaration of Acceptance of Office - Form
- Financial Guidelines
- Good Practice Agreement
- Information Booklet for Community Councils
- List of Secretaries & Chairs for Community Councils - Central
- List of Secretaries & Chairs for Community Councils - East
- List of Secretaries & Chairs for Community Councils - West
- National Standards for Community Engagement
- Retention guidelines
- Summary of Insurance Cover
- Top 10 Tasks for Community Councils