The Lord-Lieutenant of Fife is Mr Robert Balfour who was appointed in December 2014.
The Lord-Lieutenant is appointed by The British Monarch on the recommendation of the First Minister, and on the advice of the Prime Minister.
Within the cities of Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow, the Lord Provost is the Lord-Lieutenant.
Lord-Lieutenants are not paid and only receive expenses such as travel costs incurred on official duties.
Lord-Lieutenants, whether male or female, are addressed as “Lord-Lieutenant”.
The Lord-Lieutenant is expected to:
- promote a good atmosphere
- promote a spirit of co-operation
- encourage voluntary services
- encourage benevolent organisations
- take interest in the local business, industrial and social life of the area
As His Majesty’s representative, the Lord-Lieutenant does not take part in political activities.
In particular, the Lord-Lieutenant:
- arranges visits to the region by His Majesty and members of the Royal Family
- escorts Royal visitors and, on occasion, visiting Heads of State
- represents His Majesty during inspections of the Guards of Honour
- takes part in various ceremonial functions
- recommends people for invitation to His Majesty’s Garden Parties at the Palace of Holyroodhouse
- assesses nominations for honours and awards and encourages nominations for both
- presents medals and awards on behalf of His Majesty The King
The Lord-Lieutenant may also appoint Deputy Lieutenants. In Fife we currently have a Vice Lord-Lieutenant and fourteen Deputy Lieutenants (listed below) who support the Lord-Lieutenant in his role.
As His Majesty’s representative, the Lord-Lieutenant takes precedence over other dignitaries attending events including Ministers of the Crown and Conveners/Provosts of Councils.
The Lord-Lieutenant and the deputies provide advice and help with:
- requests for Royal Visits
- nominations for Honours Awards
- The Queen's Award for Voluntary Service
- The Queen’s Awards for Enterprise
- invitations to His Majesty’s Garden Parties at the Palace of Holyroodhouse
- congratulatory messages from HM The King to those local residents celebrating Diamond Wedding anniversaries or 100th Birthdays
If you would like help with any of the above, please contact the office using the details below.
Our current list of Deputy Lieutenants
- Mrs Fiona Robertson DL - Vice Lord-Lieutenant
- Lord Balniel DL
- Lord Bruce DL
- Earl of Dundee DL
- Sir Peter Erskine DL
- Col James Kinloch DL
- Earl of Lindsay DL
- Miss Fiona Maclachlan DL
- Air Vice Marshall Ross Paterson OBE DL
- Mr Jack Perry CBE DL
- Mrs Susan Williams DL
- Professor Jean Ker OBE DL
- Mrs Linda Bissett MVO DL
- Mrs Clare Mitchell DL
- Group Captain James Leggat OBE DL
Each year the Lord-Lieutenant also appoints young Cadets who support him at events throughout the year.
|Contact:||Fife Lieutenancy Office|
|Tel:||03451 55 55 55 + Ext 440336|
|Post:||Fife House, North Street, Glenrothes, Fife, KY7 5LT|