Don't ignore your RED letters, we can help

RED letters

When things get difficult financially it can be tempting to ignore your mail and leave the bills and reminders unread. Fife Council and Citizens’ Advice and Rights Fife (CARF) have teamed up to try to help people with their 'RED letters', providing advice and assistance for anyone struggling with debt.

If you are getting Reminders for unpaid bills, are Embarrassed about your debt, or have Deductions from your benefits or wages which are making it difficult to pay bills, please talk to CARF. Their money advice team offer a free, confidential and impartial service to help you get back on top of your finances.

We might also be able to help you with your Council Tax. You could be eligible for a Reduction, Exemption or Discount and our advisors will be able to explain the difference and help you apply.

Reduction: The amount of Council Tax Reduction you may get depends on many factors including benefits, age and income. If you are unsure whether you are entitled to a Council Tax Reduction, use the Fife Benefits checker to find out and apply.

Exemption: If you receive a Council tax exemption, you are usually exempt from water and sewerage charges as well. You may be exempt and not have to pay Council tax if you are severely mentally Impaired, a care leaver aged between 18 and 26, a student or in a care home. There are other categories but if you are unsure whether you are entitled to a Council Tax Exemption, find out and apply here: Council tax discounts and exemptions | Fife Council

Discount: The Council Tax system assumes that there is more than one adult living in a property, but this isn’t always the case and a Council Tax discount is applied if you live on your own, or with someone who is exempt. If you are unsure if you are entitled to a Council Tax Discount, use the Fife Benefits checker to find out and apply.

If any of these things apply to you get advice and assistance from CARF’s money advice team. The service is free, confidential and impartial. Contact them by using the self-service portal, or telephone 03451 400 94 between 8:30am and 4pm, Monday to Friday. If you are a social landlord tenant, you can ask your housing officer to refer you.

For more information visit the  Avoid seeing RED | Cost of Living Support ( page