Schools may be out for Summer, but Fife Council is encouraging families on low incomes to apply for free school meals and help towards buying school clothing for the 2022/23 session.
The council has automatically re-awarded grants to over 6,800 pupils and has written to around 4,300 more families identified as being eligible, to let them know they can now apply for these grants for the 2022-23 financial year.
Councillor Cara Hilton, education spokesperson, said: “Sadly too many children in Fife are living in poverty and too many families are finding it increasingly hard to make ends meet as the food, fuel and energy bills rise and the cost of living crisis deepens. If you’re entitled to this help, please make sure you apply.
"You’ll receive £120 per child for primary school pupils and £150.00 per child for high school pupils.
“Over 6,800 pupils will automatically be awarded the school clothing grant, and we’ll be proactively contacting 4,300 more families to let them know they may be eligible.
“The earliest payment date for the school clothing grant for next year is 21 July 2022. Don’t forget to apply for this separately if your child automatically gets free school meals because they’re in P1-5.”
To find out if you’re entitled to this help and apply online visit www.fife.gov.uk/schoolbenefits
If you need help completing the application form, contact the Benefits & Council Tax Team online at www.fife.gov.uk/contactrevenues or call 03451 55 11 55.
If you don’t already receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction you will need to provide evidence of your income. To qualify for free school meals and school clothing grant, you must receive one of the following:
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
- Child Tax Credit only with annual income below £17,005
- Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit with annual income below £7,920
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit - including those with a take home pay of up to £660 per month
- Long Term Incapacity Benefit (school clothing grant only)
- Widows Allowance - if not in full time employment (school clothing grant only)
- Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit with annual income below £17,005 (school clothing grant only)
If you don’t meet these criteria but your child is in P1-5, they can still receive free school meals while attending school. Free school milk will only be given if the above criteria is met.