We can help you with your rent

This article is more than 2 years old

We can help with your rent - house

Fife Council is reminding tenants that help is available if they’re struggling to pay their rent.

Convenor of the council's Community and Housing Services Committee Cllr Judy Hamilton explained: "Having a home is a basic human need and we can help you if you’re struggling to keep up you rent payments. We’re urging people to ask for help before problems get out of hand."

Added Cllr Hamilton: "Covid-19 and Universal Credit continue to have a huge impact on people financially and it’s affected the way that some tenants manage their rent payments. Times are tough for many, but we’re here to help."

One tenant living in Kelty got in touch to ask for help and here’s what they said about their experience: “It took the pressure off as I was having to wait for money to come through.  I didn't have to worry about losing my home and being out in the street.”

Another tenant in Buckhaven added: “I’m grateful for the help given when affected by the furlough scheme, this has helped manage rental payments during this stressful time.”

If you need help, housing officers are on hand just call 03451 551155 Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm. They can talk you through the various options available including how you could get financial support to pay your rent. And for those receiving Universal Credit, how you can request a rent payment directly to Fife Council. This means your rent will come off your money before it is paid to you, taking the worry out of missing rent payments.

Added Cllr Hamilton: "Please don't struggle alone. Over the past year, since the pandemic hit, we’ve helped over 5790 people. We understand that people are feeling the pressure and we hope that by making this help available, paying the rent will be one less thing for our tenants to worry about.  So please, contact us as soon as possible so that we can help you.

For more information visit,  www.fife.gov.uk/rent

BSL signed information video