If you are experiencing issues with drivers parking across the entrance to a private access, the following tips will help to resolve this. Fife Council has no powers to deal with drivers who block the road or an access.
- Is it obvious there is an access? Sometimes it is not clear there is a driveway. Changing the colour/design of the posts or gate can make it clearer to drivers.
- A simple sign on the boundary can highlight to drivers that access is necessary. These are available from some local and on-line suppliers.
- Police Scotland are responsible for addressing issues where an obstruction occurs. If you are blocked in your driveway, contact Police Scotland 101 or via their website http://www.scotland.police.uk
- Is it a neighbour who always obstructs access? Try speaking to your neighbour to resolve the issue. If this is not successful then Police intervention/mediation may help. There is a mediation service available in Fife through SACRO.
If the above steps fail then we may consider an access protection marking. This consists of a single white line painted along the road in front of an access. This line is not enforceable so we can’t take any action against a driver who parks on it, but it can help highlight the presence of a drive and encourage better behaviour.
If you feel that this marking would benefit your situation then you can apply if you meet the following criteria:
- The access is not obvious to drivers
- The location has a high parking turnover, e.g. near a school or shops
- A legal, formed access is present, typically in the form of a dropped kerb
- No parking restrictions are in place which already prohibit parking, e.g. double yellow lines
- Suitable evidence of the access being obstructed is made available
- You have already tried steps to resolve the problem before making the application
- The problem is not related to the opposite side of the road. It must relate to the access side of the road (we will not place access protection markings opposite a driveway)
If you wish to apply for an access protection marking, please complete the online application form in the ‘do it online’ section above.
NOTE: If you already have an access protection marking and you’re looking to apply for it to be refreshed, we will have to re-assess your eligibility for an h-bar marking. Please complete the on-line form above.