A dispensation authorises a vehicle (or vehicles) to temporarily park in contravention of a Traffic Regulation Order, normally waiting restrictions such as yellow lines.
A suspension allows a parking bay (or bays) to be suspended for an agreed period of time such as a pay and display parking bay, a residents parking bay or a disabled bay.
For a dispensation or a bay suspension to be granted the council must be sure that a vehicle needs to be parked there for the works or task to be carried out. We also need to make sure there is not a reasonable alternative available. In addition, we must also consider any road safety implications, the impact on other road users, pedestrians and any adjacent businesses. Dispensation will not normally be issued to allow parking on double yellow lines unless this would not cause danger to other road users or impede or obstruct the flow of traffic.
In the case where a trades person or contractor is just looking for a place nearby to park then they will not be granted dispensation or the suspension of a bay, unless they can show that they need regular access to their vehicle.
A dispensation does not permit general ‘parking’ and it does not allow the vehicle to remain in the restricted or prohibited area once the work has been completed. At that time the motorist is required to park elsewhere.
Examples of the type of things dispensation or suspension will generally be granted for are listed below:
- Furniture removals
- Building, maintenance and repair works where close proximity of the site is essential
- Scaffolding works
- Funerals (hearse and chief mourners)
- Weddings (bridal vehicle only)
- Placement of a skip (you will need a skip permit before applying for parking dispensation, Apply Here)
- Other circumstances which the Parking Management Unit may deem reasonable.
In the case of bay suspensions you will need to pay in advance for this service (at least 48 hours’ notice is required). Once you receive confirmation that the bay suspension has been approved,you will receive an email with a unique reference number and link to allow you to make payment online. Once payment has been received, you will be emailed a confirmation and you are ready to go.
Certain vehicles enjoy an automatic exemption in the relevant Traffic Regulation Order, as long as the vehicle is stationary only for as long as necessary , to be used for the purpose set out below:
- Police, fire and ambulance vehicles whilst engaged on operational duties
- Any liveried vehicle in the service of a universal service provider delivering or collecting mail or goods
- Vehicles being used for highway maintenance
- Vehicles being used for the installation or maintenance of services such as gas, water, electricity or electronic communications network
- Vehicles being used in connection with waste collection, street cleansing or parking enforcement
- Vehicles where a valid blue badge is displayed in accordance with relevant regulations
- Vehicles where loading or unloading is taking place in accordance with relevant regulations
- Vehicles stopped solely for the purpose of picking up or setting down passengers in accordance with relevant regulations
The council normally requires a minimum of three working days notice to process applications, as on most occasions the need for a dispensation or suspension can be anticipated. In certain circumstances dispensation may be granted earlier than this but this will be at the discretion of the council.
The length of the dispensation or suspension will be advised at the time of issue but will normally not last longer than seven days. Extensions for longer periods will be considered on an individual basis.
If, in the opinion of an officer of the council or a parking attendant, a vehicle is parked in contravention, has dispensation but is not being used as an integral part of the works or task in progress, a Penalty Charge Notice may be issued.
At the present time there is no charge for a dispensation however any suspension of a charged parking bay will incur a cost of £9 per day, per bay as well as a one off £10 admin charge to cover the administration cost and the loss of revenue.
Applying for dispensation or suspensions
Please complete the online form below.
Once your application has been processed we'll let you know if it has been approved or rejected. If approved you will be emailed a permit that will need to be printed and displayed on the vehicle(s) for which the dispensation (or bay suspension) has been agreed.
In the case of bay suspensions you will need to pay in advance for this service. Once you receive confirmation that the bay suspension has been approved, you must phone 03451 55 55 55 Ext 480208 and quote the reference number you have been given. Payment will be taken over the phone by either credit or debit card. Once payment has been made, you will be emailed a permit that will need to be printed and displayed on the vehicle(s) for which the bay suspension has been agreed.
If you want to discuss your requirements in advance please call one of our parking supervisors on the contact number below. If the call is not answered please leave a message with contact details and a supervisor will call you back.