Leave Feedback

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our 'Cookies page'.

Social Media / Embedded Media cookies

We would like to allow Twitter and Facebook cookies: this will allow the listing of Fife Council tweets and Facebook posts on some of our pages. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

We would like to allow embedded media cookies: we occasionally display Google maps and embed audio and video in our pages, e.g., using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

All Docs

Reporting a housing repair


Reporting a repair – What do you need to do?

You must report any repairs required, or damage to your home as soon as possible. When contacting us we will need to know:

  • your name, address and contact telephone number;
  • as much detail as possible on the type of repair/damage;
  • how the damage occurred, and
  • access details or arrangement to pick up keys.

The best way to report a repair is by telephoning the Faults and Repairs line: 03451 550011 or email:

In an emergency

Remember if your repair is an emergency please call us on 03451 55 00 11 from Monday to Friday between 8am and 6pm and outside of these hours, call the emergency number on 03451 55 00 99. Do not email an emergency repair as email enquiries can take up to 5 working days to be responded to.  An emergency is classed as someone about to come to immediate physical harm or if severe damage is going to be done to the property.

Missed a tradesperson

If you have missed a tradesperson, you can reschedule your repair easily, just click on the Chat Button on the top right-hand side of this page.  Please have the card that was left to hand and provide us with the job reference number on the card.

Please note if the repair was classed as an emergency, you would  need to contact Faults and Repairs on 03451 550011 to report it again.

What caused the damage?

Where the need for repairs or replacement arises as a result of damage caused by misuse or neglect by yourself (the tenant), people living with you or visitors to your home, you will be responsible for the cost of any repairs if you wish to have the work carried out by us. You will be advised of the estimated cost when you report the repair. You will also be given the choice to arrange to have the work carried out privately by a suitable qualified tradesman or contractor, and pay them yourself.  If you choose to do this, the completed job must be inspected by a housing management officer to ensure it has been carried out satisfactorily. You will not be charged for work caused by vandalism (not caused by persons mentioned earlier) provided you have reported the incident to the Police and can give a crime reference number to us.

You will not be recharged for any item which needs repaired or renewed through wear and tear.

What happens next?

Depending on the type of repair required, an officer may be requested to inspect the damage. The officer may also take photographic evidence for reference should the recharge be disputed later on.  Once a repair is identified as being your responsibility, we will send you our standard recharge letter which will detail the repair required and the estimated cost. There will be an administration fee of £10.00 added to the cost of the recharged work and the total will be subject to VAT. You will be asked to sign the acknowledgement slip as acceptance of the responsibility of the recharge and send it back to us

If the repair is not of an emergency nature, we may wait until you return the signed authorisation before issuing an order for the work. 

If you wish to appeal against the recharge or the cost, you can contact the recharge appeal team using the contact details on the letter. They will then pass your appeal to their line manager and to the Housing Officer (Repairs Support) for consideration. You will be advised of their decision in writing.

The cost advised initially may change before an invoice is issued depending on the work or materials required to complete the repair.  When the job is complete we will raise a Debtors Account in your name and arrange to have an invoice sent out to you. If you cannot pay the amount in full, you can make an arrangement to pay by instalments.

Again, if you wish to appeal against the recharge appeal team using the contact details on the letter. They will then pass your appeal to their line manager for consideration. They will then pass your appeal to their line manager and to the Housing Officer (Repairs Support) for consideration. You will be advised of their decision in writing.

Do you have house insurance?

Tenants are strongly advised to take out adequate insurance to cover fire, water and other accidental damage to house contents, and to ensure that the value of insurance cover is maintained at a realistic level. We offers tenants the opportunity to insure their home contents against fire, theft and flooding with a low cost insurance scheme. Application forms are available at your local office.

Care of communal areas

The responsibility for repairs to council owned houses and common areas is shared between the council and the tenants.

What are you responsible for?

You and the other residents should keep the following clean and tidy:

  • Shared stairwells, and
  • Shared garden.

If you fail to take your turn in cleaning the stairs, your housing management officer may set up a rota for your block. If you still do not do your share of the cleaning we can arrange to have the work done and charge you for it. This will not apply if you are charged a service fee in your rent.

If you share a garden with others you must make sure that it doesn’t become overgrown. You are not allowed to remove, chop down or destroy any trees, bushes or hedging without our permission.

Items which should not be stored by you

Due to health and safety reasons you are not permitted to store any of the following in any outhouse, shed, garage or in a communal area:

  • bottled gas;
  • paraffin heaters;
  • petrol, and
  • flammable/explosive materials.

If you know of anyone who is doing this, please notify your housing management officer at your nearest council office.

What responsibility does an owner-occupier have?

Owners and private tenants have the same responsibilities as our tenants, it is in their interest to take their share in keeping the common areas clean and tidy.

Who can help?

If you wish to know more about care of communal areas, you should get in touch with your nearest council office.

For advice on repair and maintenance issues concerning owners or private tenants contact the mutual owners team on 01592 583510.

What we are responsible for?

As the landlord we are responsible for repairing and maintaining all communal areas. This will include fencing, main front doors, stairways, door entry systems, stairwell electrics, lifts etc. However if any damage has been caused by tenants or residents, or their household or visitors, the above recharge process would be used.