We offer support to children and their families facing difficulties in their lives. The Commissioning Strategy explains our approach and how we do this.
The aim of the Commissioning Strategy is to
- secure better outcomes for children and young people in Fife.
This strategy is for all those interested in developing and providing services in Fife. It reflects the vision and values of Fife Council’s Social Work Service to:
- protect and support children who are vulnerable, at risk or in trouble
- to develop to their full potential and maximise their quality of life
- help children live with their families
- in their own communities
- when the above is not possible, to ensure that they have the best quality of care
- work in partnership with other agencies and service providers to achieve the above aims
- We also offer long-term support, care planning and protection for children and young people who are looked after by Fife Council or who are vulnerable and need services for longer periods
Just as a parent's responsibility for their child does not stop when they leave home, local councils have a responsibility to look out for the welfare of young adults, even after they leave its care.
Help and support can include:
- finding the right kind of accommodation
- help getting into college
- help to find work
Above all, we want to prevent young people experiencing poverty, disadvantage and exclusion by improving the support they receive when they leave care.
If you have concerns about a child, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Residential Care for Young People
Residential accommodation in Fife is in the main provided in houses for four or five children. This is an alternative when a young person(s) can't live with their own family, or when foster placement is not an option.
There are seven small community houses in total. Two of these also offer respite care to children and young people with a learning disability, or when there's a need for nursing care.
We're also responsible for the coordination when placing children in private residential homes. We do not manage these homes; it's with placements outside the area.