Who we are
Fife Nature Records Centre is the Local Environmental Records Centre for Fife and Kinross.
We are the centre for the collation, management and dissemination of biodiversity and wildlife data for Fife, holding:
- over 1.75 million species records
- details of more than 150 sites designated for their natural heritage value
- information on habitats.
Local Environmental Records Centres are not-for-profit organisations and Fife Nature Records Centre is funded by Fife Council and NatureScot. We are a member of the Association of Local Environmental Records Centres and the National Biodiversity Network. Our data has been gathered by local and national organisations, professionals and members of the public. Records from Fife projects and surveys, and those of other organisations and individuals who have given permission, are made available online via the NBN Atlas Scotland. We also work with many National Recording Schemes to share and verify records.
What we do
We aim to provide local biodiversity information to those who need it, which will help support policies and decision making for protecting and enhancing the natural benefit of the local environment and wildlife. We achieve this by:
- supporting local recorders and helping them to mobilise the information they gather
- working to improve the quality and quantity of our data holdings
- collating and managing these diverse data sets in a central location
- making it easier for people and organisations to access and use biodiversity data for conservation
- delivering tailored biodiversity information products and services to meet the needs of our users
- working to increase our knowledge of the wildlife throughout our area
- raising awareness and further the appreciation, understanding and protection of the natural environment of Fife.
What area we cover
Our area is full of natural beauty, covering 179 kilometres of coastline, with cliff, strandline, sand dune, saltmarsh and intertidal habitats, from the Forth Estuary in the south to the Tay Estuary in the north. The 3 main rivers are the Eden, Leven and Ore.
Click here to go to Fife Coast & Countryside Trust's interactive map of Fife's routes.
The geographical area covered by Fife Nature Records Centre is show on the map below.
Please note that due to COVID-19, the Fife Nature Records Centre office is currently closed and all staff are working from home. Please contact us by email at email@example.com