Leave Feedback

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our 'Cookies page'.

Social Media / Embedded Media cookies

We would like to allow Twitter and Facebook cookies: this will allow the listing of Fife Council tweets and Facebook posts on some of our pages. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

We would like to allow embedded media cookies: we occasionally display Google maps and embed audio and video in our pages, e.g., using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

All Docs

Education Records

A parent/carer is entitled to ask for information relating to their child on their behalf under DPA until the child reaches the age of 12, where parental responsibility is held.  More information relating to subject access requests can be found on our Data Protection - Request for Information page.

During the time a child is at school, under The Pupils Education Records (Scotland) Regulations 2003, a carer/parent, who has parental rights, is entitled to ask for information that is held about the child’s education.  This is called an Education Record request.

Meaning of educational record

  1. In these Regulations “educational records” means any records of information, excluding information contained in a Record of Needs, which–
    1. are processed by or on behalf of the responsible body;
    2. relate to any person who is or has been a pupil at the school;
    3. relate to the school education of that person; and
    4. originated from or was supplied by any of the persons specified in paragraph (2) below, other than information which is kept and intended to be kept by a teacher or by an employee of the responsible body solely for their own use.
  1. The persons referred to in paragraph (l)(d) are–
    1. a teacher;
    2. any other employee of the responsible body;
    3. the pupil to whom the information relates; or
    4. a parent of that pupil.

Retention of files - Education records are kept for 5 years after the child leaves the school.

Timescale for responding to requests – The above regulations allow for up to 15 school days to provide a response to a request.

To make a request:

complete the online form below


by post to IMRT, 1st Floor, Fife House, Glenrothes, Fife, KY7 5LT

Information Requests Online

If you have difficulty viewing the information request form, open it in a new browser window