Service UpdateBirth registration continue to be registered. Please call 03451 55 00 77 to make an appointment to register the birth of your child.
How the appointment system will work:
- Appointments will be carried out over the phone with the registrar.
- Once information for the birth registration has been gathered by phone, the registrar will then make an appointment for you to attend the registration office. This is to to check all the information is correct on the register page, and then to sign the entry for the register.
- When making your appointment, you will be asked which office is easier for you to attend to sign the register page. We will only have 4 four registration offices open for appointments during this time:
- If parents are married to each other, either the mother or father can do appointment.
- If parents are unmarried and the father’s name is to be shown in the register, the registrar will need to speak to both parents during the same appointment. Both parents will also need to sign the register page.
What you will need for your appointment:
- Birth registration card from maternity hospital or midwife
- Your birth certificate(s)
- Your marriage certificate
- If you were born outside Scotland, it is helpful if the registrar can physically see your birth extract. If you married or registered your civil partnership outside Scotland, it is also helpful if the registrar can see your marriage or civil partnership extract. These can be scanned/emailed to us during appointment.
If some of these documents aren't available, speak to the registrar who will be able to advise you further.
When you register the birth of your baby, you will be issued with:
- A free abbreviated birth certificate
- A letter to register your baby with your doctor
There is no charge to register the birth of your baby. However, if you want a full birth certificate with details of parents, this costs £10 at the time of registration.