Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our 'Cookies page'.

Social Media / Embedded Media cookies

We would like to allow Twitter and Facebook cookies: this will allow the listing of Fife Council tweets and Facebook posts on some of our pages. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

We would like to allow embedded media cookies: we occasionally display Google maps and embed audio and video in our pages, e.g., using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

All Docs



Service Update

From 4th August: Guidance on number of attendees has been updated.

From 8th August : Guidance on the use of face coverings has been updated.

The information provided below has been updated.

Marriage and civil partnership ceremonies can take place indoors and outdoors with a maximum of 20 people, with physical distancing in place and where venues are able to allow that number to attend safely.

  • The maximum number of 20 includes the couple, both witnesses, all those at the ceremony, including children, carers supporting any attendee, photographer, musicians or any other person employed by the couple.
  • The maximum number does not include any limitation on numbers of households.
  • The maximum number does not include the registrar/celebrant or any interpreter.

The Scottish Government has provided advice on a number of issues which will be of use to registrars and registration managers as they take forward civil marriages and civil partnerships in phase 3:

  • To minimise the chance of exposure to COVID-19, registrars should advise that any potential participant in a ceremony or other attendee who has symptoms or is self-isolating should not attend
  • If either party, the witnesses or anyone else attending the ceremony shows clear symptoms of COVID-19 on the day, the marriage or civil partnership should not go ahead
  • Any person who is shielding should continue to follow Scottish Government guidance on shielding
  • Any person who becomes unwell with symptoms of COVID-19 should be sent home, and advised to follow guidance on what to do when you develop symptoms
  • Attendees should continue to practise good hand and cough hygiene (including the handling of rings and other objects, such as those associated with hand-fasting, and so on)

Face coverings

Wearing a face covering has become compulsory at certain indoor premises.  Everyone attending an indoor marriage or civil partnership service in a place of worship or wedding venue is required by law to wear a face covering.

There are some exemptions:

  • If you are the registrar/celebrant leading the service, you can remove your face covering, but you must instead remain at least 2 metres away from others or have a protective screen between you and others.  Where remaining at least 2 metres away from others or using a protective screen is not possible, the celebrant or registrar must wear a face covering.
  • There are also reasonable excuses for removing a face covering (temporarily) where it’s in response to a request by “a relevant person or another person” to do so, which for instance could include where a registrar/celebrant makes such a request to check the couple’s identity, or to enable a registrar/celebrant to remove the face covering if it is inhibiting their ability to communicate with those attending the service.
  • Children under the age of 5 are not required to wear a face covering.

The Scottish Government guidance, with full details of the above issues, can be accessed at the following link:

Notice forms

We are currently accepting marriage and civil partnership notice forms and all supporting documents by email or post. Please contact for advice on how to submit your forms. In your email, please let us know your proposed date and venue for your ceremony.  Also let us know if your ceremony is with a registrar or priest or minister or celebrant.

Booking a ceremony

For civil ceremonies with a Registrar, we are extremely busy for the rest of 2020.  We are fully booked until the end of October.  We only have weekend availability for November. We also only have limited weekday and weekend availability in December.

If you would like to enquire about a new booking, please complete our Request information on planning a ceremony in Fife form.

Registration Offices

Related Publications