Our use of cookies

Some cookies used are essential to providing a service, while others help us improve your experience and provide us with insights into how the site is being used.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Cookie preferences

All Docs

Petroleum storage certificates

As the petroleum enforcing authority for Fife we are responsible for ensuring those who keep, transport, dispense and sell petrol do not cause risk to the public or environment.

Under the Petroleum Consolidation Regulations, all licences in place on 1 October 2014 remain valid until their expiry date.

Petroleum Certificates will be issued as licences expire and are issued in the name of the premises where the petrol is stored and dispensed. Certificates remain in force until either a major change takes place or the site no longer trades for more than 12 months.

The keeper of the fuel on the premises for which a Certificate exists must pay an annual fee which is calculated to the maximum quantity of petrol stored at the site. The keeper can choose to pay for up to 10 years.

Further information on storing petrol safely is available from the HSE including guidance for operators & employees of petrol stations.

Storing petrol at non-workplace premises

If you wish to store more than 30 litres of petrol and up to a maximum of 275 litres at your home or other non-workplace premises, you should notify your local petroleum enforcement authority.

Further information on storing petrol safely at home is available from HSE