Leave Feedback

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our 'Cookies page'.

Social Media / Embedded Media cookies

We would like to allow Twitter and Facebook cookies: this will allow the listing of Fife Council tweets and Facebook posts on some of our pages. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

We would like to allow embedded media cookies: we occasionally display Google maps and embed audio and video in our pages, e.g., using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

All Docs

Market operator’s licence


You need a Market Operator’s licence is for carrying on a private market.  We grant the licence to the operator of the market, and not the individual stallholder. So it is the market operator’s responsibility to ensure that all stallholders follow:

  • any conditions attached to the licence.

A Market Operator’s licence is not required for

  • functions held by charitable, religious, youth, recreational, community, political or similar organisations
  • markets held for the sale of livestock, fodder or grain

Further details on the legislation governing this type of licence on Useful Links below.

  • Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982.

How to Apply

You can apply online for a 1 year or 3 year licence using the relevant form to the right of this page.

For more information how to:

  • submit an application
  • the documentation and fee required
  • the application process
  • the time it takes to process your application
  • the standard conditions attached to a Market Operator's licence

Useful Links

Related Publications