Leave Feedback

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our 'Cookies page'.

Social Media / Embedded Media cookies

We would like to allow Twitter and Facebook cookies: this will allow the listing of Fife Council tweets and Facebook posts on some of our pages. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

We would like to allow embedded media cookies: we occasionally display Google maps and embed audio and video in our pages, e.g., using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

All Docs

Food business registration

There are 2 steps to registering your food business, this is a free service.

Registration (or Changes to an existing Food Business)

All local food businesses must register with Fife Council 28 days before they open. This is a legal requirement.

Registration applies to most types of food business. This includes home catering businesses, mobile or temporary premises (like stalls and vans) and childminders.

If there are changes after you have been registered, legally you must tell us at least 28 days before the changes take place.


Some businesses may need to be registered as an 'Approved Premises'.

Your business will need approval if you make, prepare or handle food of animal origin which is supplied to other businesses. If you only supply to the end consumer, you could be exempt from the need to be approved.

If you don’t know if you need approval, please contact us before registering - we're here to help.

Why must you register?

So that we know about all food businesses that trade in Fife. We keep details about food businesses so we can schedule routine food inspections. This helps us to ensure that all food offered for sale in Fife is safe to eat.

Are you Eligible?

Anyone applying must not have been prohibited from running a food business.

Application Evaluation Process

Once you are registered with us, we will inspect your premises to check they suitable for purpose.

Can I operate my business before it is registered?

No. We must receive your completed application form at least 28 days before you start any food operations.

Useful Links

Contact Food Advice