Fife Council has changed the way businesses in the centre of St Andrews must put their bins and commercial waste out for collection in public spaces. The policy has helped improve the appearance of the centre of St Andrews, for both residents and visitors and helped reduce the litter arising from commercial waste.
Commercial waste is to be only allowed on the streets at certain times of the day. This means you need to store your commercial waste at your own premises or land and then put it out for collection during a pre-arranged time slot.
What do you have to do?
You must only put your commercial waste bins and commercial waste sacks out for collection on the street during the following times:
- 0730hrs – 1030hrs
It is your responsibility to arrange when your waste will be collected with your waste contractor.
If, for some reason, your commercial waste contractor cannot collect your waste, you should remove it from the street, return it to your premises and contact your waste contractor to rearrange collection.
- All bags and bins must clearly display your business’ name
- Waste containers must be placed as near to the edge of a business’ property as possible, whilst ensuring there is clear pedestrian access. You must not block the pavement or road.
- Commercial waste sacks must be protected by pest-proof covers when presented on the street. Pest-proof covers must be removed from the street after collection.
Limited space to store waste container/s at your property?
- Consider sharing bins/storage space with neighbouring businesses
- Speak to your contractor about other options for example:
- Reducing the size of your external waste container/s
- Increasing frequency of collections
- Opting for commercial waste sacks (these should be presented in a pest-proof sack)
- Direct disposal
Help and support
We understand some businesses may find it difficult to store their waste containers at their premises. If you can’t find a solution and require further advice or support please contact us.
Contact the Duty of Care Waste Team
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org