Business Rates Help
Process for using the new Business Rates account
- Sign in to fife.gov.uk - click on Register/Sign In at the top right
- Use your existing myaccount, or sign up for one if you don't have one already
- You'll come back to your My Details page on the website
- On the right you'll see a section "Your Enrolled Services" and "Further Services You Could Enrol For" - "Enrol for Business Rates" will be at the bottom of that list
- Click on the link to get into the Business Rates option, then click the "Register An Account" button to give us the required details
- Once you've registered you'll see a new link to Business Rates in "Your Enrolled Services". It will take up to 24 hours for your new account details to show.
Why do I need to register for a MyAccount?
To use some of our services, you need a MyGovScot MyAccount. This is a nationwide online account, in partnership with the Scottish Government.
Once signed in, you can set up the accounts that apply to you, such as school payments and your online council tax account online. The great thing is you only need one username and password.
For some of our services, we need to identify who you are. For security reasons, we need to make sure you’re making the request, and it’s not someone requesting the service in your name.
We’ll ask for:
- Your name
- Home address
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Date of birth
- Gender (if you’re happy to give us this)
How do I register for a mygovscot myaccount?
This useful video will provide you with a step by step guide to registering for a myaccount.
I've applied for a mygovscot myaccount but haven't received an activation email?
Please check your spam/junk email folder as occasionally an email provider may incorrectly mark this email as junk. If it is in your junk folder you will need to move it to your inbox to enable the activation link.
If you have checked and cannot trace this email, please raise a new support request to the Improvement Service using this link and confirming your full name and date of birth so they can activate your account for you.
Please visit the myaccount help centre for information on registration and other assistance regards problems with your myaccount.
I’ve applied for a mygovscot myaccount after accessing the service I want to apply for, but it hasn’t redirected me back to the online form
This is correct. If you are registering for a myaccount for the first time, and you've signed up and activated your account, you will not be redirected back to the online form. You will have to go back to the fife.gov.uk homepage to search for or access the service.
How do I reset a forgotten password?
It will ask you to complete the form and submit. You will be sent a temporary password to your registered email address and details on how to reset it to something memorable to you.
How do I reset a forgotten username?
It’s the same process as above.
It will ask you to complete the form and submit. You will be sent a username reminder to your registered email address.
What if my temporary password isn’t working?
Please note, your temporary password is case sensitive, so you need to enter it exactly as shown. Sometimes, if you copy and paste, errors can be made. Try entering the password manually.
Tick the ‘show characters’ box on the sign in page, and this will allow you to see your password as you type it. You can check that all the characters are correct.
If you’re still unsuccessful, you’ll need to request another temporary password.
What do I do if I get locked out?
Your account will be locked for 30 minutes if you’ve made too many unsuccessful attempts to log in. Once the account unlocks, you can reset your username or your password. Please see the information above.
Can I change my name on MyAccount?
Yes, it’s quite simple. Sign in to MyAccount Once you are signed in, scroll down to My Details and click on ‘change’ beside your name.
Can I change my username?
Yes, you can. To do this, you need to:
- Sign in to your MyAccount
- Click on Username and follow the instructions
How do I withdraw my consent or delete my account?
It’s easy to remove your consent or delete your whole account, if you wish. To do this:
- Sign in to MyAccount
- Click on the ‘Consent’ tab
- Click ‘Withdraw’ under Fife Council
- Sign into MyAccount
- Click on the ‘Delete account’ tab
- Please read the advisory message, to make sure you’re sure about deleting your account
- Click ‘Confirm’ if you want to go ahead and delete your account
For more information along with a list of frequently asked questions, visit MyGovScot (My Account) service