Leave Feedback

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our 'Cookies page'.

Social Media / Embedded Media cookies

We would like to allow Twitter and Facebook cookies: this will allow the listing of Fife Council tweets and Facebook posts on some of our pages. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

We would like to allow embedded media cookies: we occasionally display Google maps and embed audio and video in our pages, e.g., using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

All Docs

Housing Advice for Offenders

If you have a tenancy of your own and know that you could be facing a prison sentence, you may be able to keep your tenancy. There are some things you'll need to consider, however.

If you have a local authority tenancy:

  • You may be able sign over to someone else who has lived with you for at least 12 months or sub-let your tenancy.
  • If you're in receipt of Universal Credit, this may still be paid to your landlord if you're held on remand for up to six months.
  • Think about security of the property:
    • Does someone else have a key?
    • Do you have any pets that will need cared for?
    • Have you made plans to redirect your mail?

If you receive a sentence longer than 13 weeks, you'll be asked to end the tenancy.

If you have a private let:

  • Think about how long you have left on your current lease.
  • Tell your landlord you may be facing a sentence. They may be prepared to allow your tenancy to continue, if they'll still receive Local Housing Allowance.

Universal Credit

You may be able to continue getting Universal Credit or make a claim for the first time if you go to prison or are on remand.

You won’t be entitled to claim if:

  • You’re likely to be on remand for more than 26 weeks.
  • You’re likely to be in prison for more than 13 weeks (including any time on remand).
  • You’re not intending to return home on release.
  • You’re claiming as a couple and you’ve split up.
  • The property is going to be rented out.

You can find out more about benefits and prison on GOV.UK