Litter is waste in the wrong place. Litter can be harmful to people, animals and the environment.
Businesses can help reduce the impact of litter by:
- Where possible reduce the amount or type of packaging on items you sell or buy
- Ask customers if they need a bag, lid, napkin or straw
- Offer incentives for using reusable packaging
Reducing packaging improves business efficiency and saves money!
Cleaning up litter
- Keep the areas around your premises clean. It is your responsibility
- Provide bins on premises to allow customers to dispose of waste items responsibly
- Carry out litter picks
These voluntary actions aim to reduce the need for the Council to serve litter notices on businesses!
- Engage staff around preventing litter and fly-tipping
- Display information to engage customers – download infographics to display in your premises from Zerowaste Scotland
Businesses are powerful role models and can influence staff and customer behaviour!
Waste Management - Duty of Care
- Commercial waste must be managed, stored and presented correctly so that it does not become litter. For more information on commercial waste presentation see our Waste Storage and Presentation page.
- You must have a waste contract in place to deal with any commercial waste your business produces
- You must clean up any commercial waste spillages created by your business
Managing your waste correctly will reduce the likelihood of waste escaping and creating litter!