Our use of cookies

Some cookies used are essential to providing a service, while others help us improve your experience and provide us with insights into how the site is being used.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Cookie preferences

Waste advice for university students

Where should I put my waste?

Speak to your landlord in the first instance. Landlords should provide you with details of your waste arrangements - bin collections, recycling requirements, sacks collections, and the importance of using the systems provided correctly. If no waste information is provided, please email us at or call 03451 55 00 22.

You must not just put waste out on the street and leave it there; this is fly tipping and may result in a fine.

Bin collections

  • Bins should be out by 6am on collection day and must be returned to your property as soon as they're emptied. They should not be left out longer than necessary.
  • Bin lids should be closed.
  • We will not collect any extra bags, boxes, or other waste placed at the side of the bin. This is fly tipping and will be investigated.

Find out your collection day on our online bin calendar.

Sack collections

Your property may be on a sack collection if you do not have space to store a landfill bin.

  • Sack collections are collected weekly. Any recycling waste should be disposed of at nearest recycling point.
  • 50 sacks are delivered every six months. Please use two sacks per week.
  • Sacks must be placed in a seagull proof sack. These are provided by the council.

If you are on a sack collection and do not have Fife Council sacks, please contact

We will only uplift Fife Council branded sacks from the collection point.

Extra waste or recycling

You can dispose of additional recycling waste at local recycling points or St Andrews Recycling Centre at Largo Road (behind Morrisons).

Large household items

Fife Councils recycling centres can be used to dispose of large household items.

You can also arrange for large household items to be collected from your student accommodation.


Please visit St Andrews University website for more information on how you can recycle and reuse your unwanted items.

    Useful Links