Is the cost of living crisis affecting you?
Make sure you’re getting the help you're entitled to.Visit our site
Service UpdateService Update Please be aware that due to high demand there may be a delay in processing your application and normal timescales do not apply. You will be contacted by an Advisor when your application is being reviewed.
Crisis and community care grants
Scottish Welfare Fund
The Scottish Welfare Fund provides a safety net for vulnerable people on low incomes by providing Community Care Grants and Crisis Grants. Scottish Welfare Fund awards are not loans, so you don't need to pay it back. The grants are designed to help people who are on a low income, so you can apply even if you don’t claim benefits.
Community Care Grants are in place to help vulnerable people set up home, or continue to live independently within their community. There must be a severe and immediate need and you would face significant adverse consequences if you were not awarded a grant.
You may be eligible to receive a grant if you meet the fund qualifying conditions:
- To enable qualifying individuals who are leaving care or imprisonment to establish or maintain a settled home, where without a grant there is a risk that the individual will not be able to do so.
- To enable qualifying individuals to maintain a settled home, where without a grant there is a risk of the individual needing to go into a care institution.
- To enable qualifying, vulnerable individuals to establish or maintain a settled home after being homeless, or otherwise living an unsettled way of life AND receiving support* to sustain their tenancy (*formerly known as re-settlement package).
- To enable qualifying individuals to maintain a settled home in a situation where that individual, or another individual in the same household, is facing exceptional pressure. Exceptional pressure is a greater pressure than you would be under just from living on a low income.
- To assist a person to care for a qualifying individual who has been released from prison or a young offenders’ institution on temporary release.
We need to process all of the applications we received to see whether or not they meet the qualifying conditions. Please only apply if you believe your current circumstances meet these so that we can process applications quicker and help those who really need it.
Crisis Grants are in place to help you cope with the unexpected expenses and disasters that life throws at us when we least expect it.
We can offer help with:
- emergency living costs; food, fuel, nappies, etc until your get your next income.
- Or if you have experienced a disaster (e.g. fire, flood)