Coaltown of Balgonie Primary School
- Primary School
Coaltown of Balgonie Primary School was opened in August 1889. It is a rural school which is situated at the end of School Road and it sits in a countryside environment. The school catchment area is drawn from a mixture of public and private housing. The majority of our children attend Carleton Nursery in Woodside although we do draw from several private nurseries in the locality.
The main school building is at the end of the road surrounded by the new housing estate on one side and fields on another. It is adjacent to the public play park. The annexe building is the old Miners' Welfare Institute at the top of School Road and houses a classroom along with the kitchen and dining/gym hall.
As part of our ongoing Eco Commitment there has been extensive planting of trees, hedges and flowers. We are working towards our second Green Flag. We are also into Phase 3 of the Health Promoting School.
We encourage the children to take ownership in the running of their school and to respect the environment in which the school is based, while at the same time acknowledging and celebrating the achievements of others. We have a joint Eco/Pupil Council and the school has achieved Level 1 Rights Respecting School.
Our school Parent Council is very active and supportive, promoting strong links with the community. A successful annual Christmas Fayre was well attended by parents and firends of the school - from our proceeds we donated to The Mary's Meals Project. We also have an active Pupil Council.
An Out of School Club is available to parents who wish to pay for out of school care before and after the school day and holidays. This is run by Fife Childcare Strategy and transported is provided.