Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookies page.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our 'Cookies page'.

Social Media / Embedded Media cookies

We would like to allow Twitter and Facebook cookies: this will allow the listing of Fife Council tweets and Facebook posts on some of our pages. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

We would like to allow embedded media cookies: we occasionally display Google maps and embed audio and video in our pages, e.g., using YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode. See our Cookies page for more details. (If you change this setting, you may need to refresh the page to action your preference.)

All Docs

Planning Application Advice and Guidance


Service Update

Fife Council Contact Centre is no longer dealing with a range of normal business calls, including those to the Planning Service. The majority of our staff are working remotely and whilst it may take us a little longer than normal, we are doing our best to operate as close to normal service as possible. This means that we are continuing to respond to inquiries as well as processing both current and new planning applications.

If you are not sure if you require planning permission you should check the information held on our Planning Guides.  If you are still unsure whether or not you need permission to carry out your development work then please read the information Do I Need Planning Permission.

If you know that your development does need permission and you would like advice before submitting your application you can use our Pre-Application Advice service.  You will need to complete the form and submit the relevant fee.

Related Publications

Contact: Economy, Planning and Employability Services