Leave Feedback

All Docs

Apply for a house


Before applying for housing please look at the Fife Housing Register (FHR) website. This website includes information and advice on housing options. To ensure your housing needs cannot be reasonably met by other housing options, we recommend that you complete the housing options assessment to obtain a personalised action plan.   Once in the website, if you click 'apply for housing' it will bring you back to this page.

You can complete a housing application by either:

  • Applying online. You’ll need to register or sign in to your account to access the online application. Once registered you can access the “online application for housing” under the housing section of your account home page.
  • Writing to or visiting a Customer Service Point
  • Visiting one of our Home4Good Centres

We will assess your application and get back to you within 20 days. We will then write to tell you:

  • How your application has been assessed and the points you have been awarded
  • The category which the application is held within
  • Any information we still need that could effect your application
  • How to enquire about or appeal against our decision

Allocation System

All of the FHR partners have agreed a common assessment of need for assessing applications. This brings together the best parts of policy and practice within each of the partner organisations to make it simpler for applicants to understand and for staff to work with.

Your application will be placed in a group that reflects your needs. The categories are:

  • Urgent Housing Needs
  • Poor Housing Circumstances
  • Lack of Security
  • Social and Medical Needs
  • Management Needs
  • No Immediate Needs

You may get points for different circumstances but you will be placed in the group where you have the highest points. Your housing need is worked out by awarding points for things like:

  • Overcrowding
  • Living in a poor quality or below standard property
  • Homelessness or being potentially homeless

We also award points if you:

  • are experiencing abuse or harassment in or around your home;
  • have housing difficulties because of health, disability, support, educational or employment reasons;
  • are at risk of losing your home;
  • are leaving the armed forces;
  • need to move to support your children’s educational and social development, or
  • need alternative housing to provide care for your children or relatives.

If you have an illness or disability or if you need specialised forms of housing we have a specialist team of housing occupational therapists that can help you with your application, just speak to the staff at your Customer Service Point.

When we are looking at your application, there are some things that will not influence the points you get, including:

  • Your household income
  • If you and your spouse currently live together
  • Your marital status
  • The length of time you have lived in Fife
  • Your age (provided you are over 16 years old)

Tenancy related debts where:

  • You were not the tenant
  • The debt has been cleared
  • Less than one month’s rent is due
  • You have made arrangements and you are continuing to pay the debt

If your circumstances change at all it’s important that you let us know as your entitlement may change.

Also it’s important that you respond to the review letters we will send you on a regular basis. These letters are our way of checking your details are the same and that there have been no changes to your circumstances.

When it comes to allocating properties FHR Partners use their own Allocation Policy which can be found on their website.