Hate Crime - help and support
Everyone has the right to live safely and without fear. Experiencing any abuse, harassment or violence can be devastating. It may affect not only your safety, but every part of life.
A hate incient is any incident, that may or may not be a criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, as motivated by prejudice or hate on the basis of:
- Gender reassignment
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Race or ethnicity
- Religion or faith
- Sexual orientation
Hate incidents can include verbal abuse, jokes, written abuse, threats, assault, property damage, incidents online and graffiti.
Fife Community Safety Partnership works towards reducing crime and the fear of crime. When you report an incident, we will arrange support which is tailored to your needs.
This might include a police investigation (if you agree), advice on personal safety and home security, addressing problem neighbours, noise nuisance and graffiti as well as providing access to any relevant services.
Victim Support offers emotional support and help with the criminal justice system, and claims for criminal injuries compensation.
We can also refer you to other local services such as community mediation, and agencies that deal with specific diversity issues.
If you report we will:
• Believe you if you report an incident motivated by prejudice or hate
• Act quickly
• Treat all reports in confidence
• Provide an interpreter if you need one
• If necessary, arrange a meeting with the organisations that can help
• Keep you informed on the progress of your case
If you experience hate crime, or see it happen to someone else, there are a number of ways to report.
- Visit your local council office or police station
- Call Fife Council on 03451 55 00 22 (lines open Mon - Fri 8am - 8pm) or the police non-emergency phone number outwith these times on 101.
- Report through a Third Party Reporting Centre
- In an emergency call 999
For more information contactReporting Antisocial Behaviour (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.)
Tel: 03451 550022